Best 300 RUM-208gr Amax load

SAPPER26

I will be getting a Remington 700 sendero (older version with J-lock feature) in 300 ultra mag soon. The first thing I will do is replace the bolt lock feature with a Gre-tan firing pin assembly. I know the throats on the senderos are long and using Bergers VLDs might have a COAL too long to fit in the magazine. I have had good luck with the 168gr Amax for my 308 and am pretty much set on the 208gr version for this cartridge. Here's the kicker, I am getting a custom 338 Lapua which should be finished Novemberish and will be reloading for it as well. Both use similar powders, so I would like to buy in bulk to take advantage of keeping with the same lot, not having to reconfirm load data after buying a new jug (I'm sure these would burn through a 1lb jug pretty fast). I know H1000 and Retumbo are two of the choices many shooters on this site use, due to their temperature insensitivity. Any load data on this combo and suggestions would be great. Also, if anyone knows of a quality gunsmith in the Ft. Riley, Kansas area that can bed this rifle in a timely manner, I would like to know. Thanks.

SAPPER26

I would go right at the Retumbo in the RUM, fast and accurate with the 200-210 class bullets. Work up to it you will be in the low 90's

The Lapua will also run Retumbo with the 300's but the ones I loaded for liked 25 and H-1000 for accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.