Hornady 208gr. A-Max

moosehunter

Just got a box of this new bullet and Im looking forward to trying it out in my 300 WM. 26" barrel with a 1-9" twist. Id appreciate any info I can get on others findings and load data to possibly save me some time and components.

My brother developed a load for these in his 7.82 Warbird this summer and used them on Pronghorn and on his mule deer.

His rifle is a factory Sako with a 1-11 1/4 twist barrel. I was suprised how wellhis rifle shot these bullets but it shot them very well, consistantly under 3/4 moa and often under 1/2 moa.

I think a 1-10 is plenty even in a 300 Win Mag. I would say H-4831 or Rl-22 would be the best powders to try. Just use starting load data for a 200 gr SMK or Accubond. Starting loads will be perfectly safe with the thinner jacket bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey Kirby,how did they do on his pronhorn and deer? Are they hefty enough for elk at extended ranges or are you still better off with an accubond or berger. what powders would you suggest out a rum with the 200gr-210gr. class bullets. 10 twist 28inches long thanks kirby

The pronghorn was just over 500 yards, no problem punching all the way through. There was quick expansion on impact and a large exit wound.

On the mule deer, he was around 400 yards off, 1.5" entrance wound, 2.5" exit wound with severe damage internally with alot of blood soaking.

Compared to the bullets you list, it is no where near as stout as the Accubond but it has a noticably higher BC and will expand easier at extreme range. It will not out penetrate the Accubond however.

Compared to the Berger, it is a bit stouter, will expand a bit quicker with the tip but penetration should be similiar.

For elk.......... I would say at long range you probably would not have any problem in 95% of shot opportunities. Good thing about long range shooting, you can wait for your shot in most cases so thats a good thing.

I would not however expect to center the shoulder knuckle at close range and have good results, if that is what you need from your bullet, go with the Accubond.

Kirby Allen(50)

Here is what I have tried in my 300wm:
-79gr Retumbo Federal 215M in Nosler brass.
-77gr H1000 fed 215M in Norma brass.

The load I have settled on:
- 75gr IMR 7828SSC Fed 215M in Norma brass.

These rounds are all loaded with the a-max .135 into the lands and I am shooting them out of a 28" 1-10 twist barrel.

Kirby,

I am going to build the 30/338 Lapua Improved with a 40 degree shoulder. I am going to use a 1-11 twist 32" Krieger for the barrel. In your opinion, what velocity do you think I will be able to push the 208grn A-Max. I am thinking around 3300 to 3400fps, does that sound about right?

Thanks

thanks kirby, thats what I was kind of hoping for. Now I just have to wait for all the parts and hopefully I can get some sent down range.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.