Home Defense ARs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
Mine is a 10.5" AR pistol with Law Tactical folder with Blade brace, linear comp, Streamlight light, and 1-4 Vortex PST. I use Federal Tactical 55 gr SMK as this is the same round carried by officers at my PD. This round limits overpenetration as it pretty much flattens or frags on any hard contact. Used for years by LAPD for this reason.
Make sure that thing is legal with the folder now that the ATF changed how you measure AR's with folding stocks. Don't want anyone getting a felony over dumb stuff

do you have a link to the latest rules? those morons are like yo-yos when it comes to brace laws.
I don't but I know it has to be measured with the stock folded. I unfortunately do not recall what the minimum length requirements are but if I remember just about anything with a barrel shorter than 12" AND a folding stock is now too short to comply.

do you have a link to the latest rules? those morons are like yo-yos when it comes to brace laws.
I couldn't quickly find the link to the ATF rule but I found the ammo land article:

I don't but I know it has to be measured with the stock folded. I unfortunately do not recall what the minimum length requirements are but if I remember just about anything with a barrel shorter than 12" AND a folding stock is now too short to comply.
That's a new one to me......a pistol classification has never had a minimum length to the best of my knowledge. You can buy pistols that fit into a belt buckle, not to mention the millions of sub-compacts that fit in the palm of your hand. The big deal with pistol AR's has always been the 26" OAL from muzzle (not device) to the end of the buffer/brace.

Last edited:
8" 9mm PCC here. We have all seen or conducted penetration tests. My biggest concern is the sight, at night, dark, I want a knob to turn it on, so number of clicks for desired brightness. No eotech, red dots with small activate knobs, A C-more or aimpoint for me. Many nightlights throughout the house.
We fantasize the upper hand is ours, I am no Clint Eastwood sleeping with one eye open and my 1861 Navy tucked against my sweaty chest. I am a heavy sleeper and will most likely get drilled in bed for my Samsung Galaxy S9.
A shotgun seems so common sense, creepy joe wished he had one when confronting corn pop, or was it joes wife that that thumped corn pop, seems more logical. I am no operator, but getting caught in a hallway with a 24" shotgun not where I want to be.
Well, back to my day job, mall cop, ninja style.

I couldn't quickly find the link to the ATF rule but I found the ammo land article:

that ATF letter reads like it was written by one of the 3 stooges .....right after he got hit in the head with a rock. To be honest, the article itself was more of an editorial than a legal brief, and something more solid needs to be put out there by the NRA or GOA or whoever, so there is no confusion.

If anyone wants to make sure their "AR pistol" is legal, just buy it in the configuration it comes in, from a manufacturer.

Last edited:
Hi
Whispers & the Blackout really appealed to me. When DSA came out with uppers, i purchased a 16" stainless mil spec format upper. It hasn't been modified and this DSA 1:8 twist upper is less than desirable for slingin' heavy projos available to me then (+- 9 years ago) with anything like accuracy.
My original goal was 'hole in one' 100 +- yd shots with the heavier weight (180 gr - 240 gr) commercial 'subsonic' loads. What I found was that at 25 yd sight ins, my 5 - 10 round 'pattern' was around 4" - 5"+, not quite 'optimal' minute of anything beyond about 15 yards. As I tried +- 170 grs & less, woo-han Surprise! Results improved markedly. For a couple years, I tried to find a nice, reasonably priced barrel with a 1:7 or less twist That hunt fizzled out after finding 'NSA' under about $350.oo & little interest in the many forums to even talk about Blackouts.

What I'd like is: a 1:7 twist (or better) barrel of good quality. installed into a good quality side charging, flat top upper, Mid-west Ind small dia 13" - 15" hand guard & barrel nut kit, small gas block, a nice mini red/green dot sight/l x 6 scout-ish scope w/back up pop-up sights, BRIGHT strobe capable light, Yankee Hill brake (YHM 28 5C2) or hider (YHM 28 A) relieved to +.30 cal (by hand drill & vise-grips, as I couldn't find any ready mades & I like the YHMs). Now you can add the 4x4,
air conditioning, Hi Fidelity sound & big tires to keep that light weight rifle on the ground.
Lot of great ideas on this forum. It's been years since I shelved this caliber.
Thanks to you all tor re-sparking my interest.

The 300BLK is a great choice as well but there is a lot of crap stuff out there with every swing d—k looking to cash in on the hype. This is not something I would recommend looking to save money on. A lot of stuff is not correct. Meaning wrong length gas systems and/or gas ports. If you want to run subs without a can you better look to pistol length gas. There are a few companies that do a carbine gas system right, AAC for one but many do not. I've seen CMMGs done wrong myself and they are are well known company for the most part. A can gives more back pressure and can overcome some of those issues but buyer beware for RELIABLY running subs without a can. Many are jam-o-matics. I love the round and have one, mine is a AAC with a carbine system but it runs literally everything without a hiccup. I guess what I am saying is the BLK is great but you need to fully vet your system as always if it's a life or death solution. The 6.8 SPC is another great round for home defense as well. Don't have one but I load for two buddies and I like it too.

On a side note, most 300BLK subs do NOT expand. You are looking at some high price Bullets to get expanding 300B ammo. Don't believe the "Awe, they tumble when they hit" crap. They MIGHT but most with pencil. I've never shot a human with one but on deer, they don't tumble most of the time and there isn't enough energy/velocity to expand normal heavy bullets.

Hi Elkhunter.
Methinks you have 'The Item'. Ballpark, & if you care to share, what kind of $$ do you have invested in your Blackout system?

I have a 1:8 twist DSA mil spec which is +- ok for 170 gr - 110 gr, but I've never shot it outside of 25 yds with lightweight projos.

Do you shoot subsonics? If so, what barrel & twist do you find best?

I got tired of being 'priced out' of the market when all I could find was 1:6.5 or 7 twist barrels priced at like 85+% the cost of the entire upper I acquired from DSA for around $500.oo incl shipping. That was nearly a decade ago.

Last I checked, a 1:7 or less twist upper was like 700.bux. Been a while. Kinda lost interest after after I 'discovered' TNW ASRs. I got mine as a carbine & now have a quiver full of barrels & lowers & bolts & mags & some parts. It's taken around 1600 bux to get it all here & it's a Hoot! to shoot! Neat design.
Thanks for your time, Sir.

Thank you everyone for the advice. If I didn't like your post, I just missed hitting like. I didn't realize how much good info I would get. I appreciate the contributions!

I'm leaning toward a 9 inch .300 BO with a 1:9 twist with an EOtech. I have a 16 inch 1:8 RRA that shoots great at 100-300 yards. It has an EOtech XPS. It will only shoot super sonic rounds up to 180 grains well. If I shoot subs it's no good past 25 yards. It will keyhole and bounce everywhere.

Anyone got one? My mind has been so set on Long Range ARs that I dont know what to look for in a home defense one. Caliber, barrel length, tacticool accessories?

I've got a couple, but the primary one is a 7.5" 300blk pistol. Just put a decent "arm brace" on it. With the 7.5" barrel and subs it's not concussive enough to cause much disorientation when fired indoors, the muzzle is closer to your body and you have a better grip than a pistol so it's less easily taken away from you if someone is hiding around a corner. The whole thing is about 26" long including the blast can. If I out the suppresser on it adds another 6" or so
20200318_160444.jpg

I've got a 1500lm light and a holosight on mine. Don't need anything else in my opinion. I might order one of those utg bulldot lasers to give it a try though. They seem like a pretty goot concept. I have buis on mine, but that's mainly just to keep them from getting lost in a drawer lol

Here's how I roll. RRA Tactical CAR. 50 yard center of mass - "Get off My Lawn". Remington 870 Youth w/ #4 buck shot (20 ga) under the bed if I got time to get to it. Sig P226 in the nightstand for immediate access at night and the CZ 82 for a belly band holster when I'm casually around the house or out on my property.

Attachments

• D7B86A52-817A-4CE6-86A9-A288EBB3CEE9.jpeg
    D7B86A52-817A-4CE6-86A9-A288EBB3CEE9.jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 9AC3E216-84BC-4BF4-A4F5-17B216495D32.jpeg
    9AC3E216-84BC-4BF4-A4F5-17B216495D32.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.