Home Defense ARs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
I feel you are correct, and also a Vmax out of an AR is going to stop alot sooner than a FMJ as well. I had just never really thought about how poorly houses stop bullets given the right scenario.

My home defense load is a 40gr vmax for that reason. I don't want it to penetrate walls. I want it to come apart.

Mine is a 10.5" AR pistol with Law Tactical folder with Blade brace, linear comp, Streamlight light, and 1-4 Vortex PST. I use Federal Tactical 55 gr SMK as this is the same round carried by officers at my PD. This round limits overpenetration as it pretty much flattens or frags on any hard contact. Used for years by LAPD for this reason.

I personally run a 12.5" sbr with a can on it, but any quality ar is fine. Don't go crazy, flashlight and a red dot is all you really need. Until you take a class and put a case of ammo through it you don't know what you want on it yet. Remember a sling is the rifle equivalent of a holster, so get a good one and have one on the rifle.

My house was hit last year in a random drive by shooting. The guy was shooting a 9mm pistol, only 1 round hit my house but it went through an exterior wall, ricochet off a fan and went through an interior wall. We recovered the bullet (fmj) in the drywall behind my refrigerator. It really got me thinking about how easily bullets pass through walls. My ar's are used for defense outside the home only, when awareness of your surroundings and flight path of the bullet is easier to anticipate.

which is why mine AR9 is loaded with hollow points. no way it's going through that many walls.

A 300 AAC AR would be the way to go. Loaded with barnes black tip, you will not find a better home defense carbine/pistol with brace. Forget the shotgun. One shot and you will be blind in a dark environment. Same with many handguns. The AR lets you mount a good flash hider or can, as well as a CQT type EOtech or good reliable red dot.

Short barrel extended tube Remington 870 leave on empty chamber the sound a pump makes as it is being loaded gives someone a oh ——— moment and you may not have to use it

that's what my grandpa always said, i told him i wasnt relying on noises to scare an intruder off. they'll be blinded by an extremely bright LED weapon light followed by a very loud bang.

My house was hit last year in a random drive by shooting. The guy was shooting a 9mm pistol, only 1 round hit my house but it went through an exterior wall, ricochet off a fan and went through an interior wall. We recovered the bullet (fmj) in the drywall behind my refrigerator. It really got me thinking about how easily bullets pass through walls. My ar's are used for defense outside the home only, when awareness of your surroundings and flight path of the bullet is easier to anticipate.

frangible rifle bullets don't go through walls. Any kind of deep penetrating bullet like a game bullet designed for pass through, or an FMJ or any common pistol bullet will overpenetrate walls though.

300 subsonic black out, pistol length.

exactly. the 300 was designed for short barrel applications. The 556 really drops off performance wise out of a pistol barrel, especially with the 77OTM's that someone would be using in a PDW. the 556 might be better at 300 yards out of a longer barrel, but at close range the supersonic blackout in a short barrel rules the roost.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.