Home Defense ARs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
I feel you are correct, and also a Vmax out of an AR is going to stop alot sooner than a FMJ as well. I had just never really thought about how poorly houses stop bullets given the right scenario.
There's a good video out on the Youtubes (might have been an article now that I am thinking about it) that compares pistol, rifle, and shotgun loads in home defense situations specifically towards penetration of interior and exterior walls. You would be surprised how even shotgun (minus bird-shot) over penetrated everything if I remember it correctly. About the only thing to come out of the review with good non-over-penetration issues were specific 223 and 300 blackout ammo geared towards home defense and most self defense pistol ammo. If I remember I think one shotgun load passed the test too but I don't remember.

Edit: I found the article: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/home-defense-overpenetration/

There's a good video out on the Youtubes (might have been an article now that I am thinking about it) that compares pistol, rifle, and shotgun loads in home defense situations specifically towards penetration of interior and exterior walls. You would be surprised how even shotgun (minus bird-shot) over penetrated everything. About the only thing to come out of the review with good non-over-penetration issues were specific 223 and 300 blackout ammo geared towards home defense and most self defense pistol ammo. If I remember I think one shotgun load passed the test too but I don't remember.

i will have to look that up, it is probably valuable information. The repercussions surrounding over penetrating defense rounds could be catastrophic.

After reading an article on this several years ago I loaded 40 grain varmint bullets at minimum charge for home defense rounds, the idea being they would break apart to some degree when they hit a wall. Never tested them though.

I chose an 8.5" .300 blk SBR with a can. Trijicon red dot and Magpul backups. I also put a Sig vertical grip with built in light that I ended up LOVING more than I anticipated.

I agree. In suburban America, I wanted subaonics that won't over penetrate.

I chose an 8.5" .300 blk SBR with a can. Trijicon red dot and Magpul backups. I also put a Sig vertical grip with built in light that I ended up LOVING more than I anticipated.

I agree. In suburban America, I wanted subaonics that won't over penetrate.
the 110gr Barnes VOR-TX are also a good round that won't over-penetrate too

For close work, I prefer a short barrel pump 12 gauge with an entended magazine. Years back I made some "special" home defense rounds for a fellow who lived in the mountains I made several with finish nails with the heads cut off and covered with crushed glass and rock salt. The nails failed to penetrate the wallboard. After that, he used birdshot then buckshot. My preference in Nam was 0 buck, we operated in some real thick jungle. Also found the standard AR round was ineffective 1 shot stoppers.

I would think that in a stressful situation any weapon that you are proficient with is what you want. I have a friend who bought a bedside gun, shot one box of 50 through it and called it a day. Hasn't touched it since. I personally don't use an AR as my home defense gun. I want something my wife, or kids can use in my absence so I have a CZ Scorpion EVO. We all shoot it very well and understand its function. I may suppress it in the future but currently just use Buffalo Bore 147gr subsonic. I don't need sub MOA at 100 yards, just center of man/woman from our bedrooms to the front door. Whatever you get don't be my friend try to wear it out so you will know how to use it should an event occur. I also think home defense starts outside the home. Put yourself in the position of a criminal, how would you break into your house? When we moved in I added lighting and cleared some bushes to minimize the risk of someone hiding without me seeing them.

Anyone got one? My mind has been so set on Long Range ARs that I dont know what to look for in a home defense one. Caliber, barrel length, tacticool accessories?

Just use what you're use to. Probably no need to reinvent the wheel.

Peq or dbal if you have nods, if not it's a waste of money and a dumb accessory to mount. Angled grips or forward grips for that matter is a personal preference, a claw grip for support hand is more than sufficient.

Edit: if anyone does use a grip of whatever sorts, don't put it on by the receiver. I'd always see kids, (marines and army) usually pogs walking around on deployment like that with these dumb things they bought at the px. The only reason to hold a rifle like that is to reduce your pivot point in small spaces. There's virtually no way to drive from the high ready or low ready like that.

Ranger grips and all that is all fluff.
Flashlights are two way streets, keep up with light discipline when appropriate, that includes rifle mounted. IR cover if using nods, use as a room flood.

Federal msr is a good one for "around the house." 62 gr Hornady tap was pretty good too. I'm not sure if that's available to public anymore. Worst case scenario good ol' m855 does the job.

Attachments

• 79D8D562-CB84-4527-B535-537A670BAFDD.jpeg
    79D8D562-CB84-4527-B535-537A670BAFDD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • 100F0A23-0909-4FC9-86A9-1A057059A581.jpeg
    100F0A23-0909-4FC9-86A9-1A057059A581.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I would recommend a 9mm AR for the home. Just the blast alone from a 5.56mm in an enclosure especially with one of those "buddy f'er" style muzzle breaks will disorient everyone in that enclosure including the good guys. Don't believe me, try shooting under just the cover of a tree or better yet, hard overhead cover WITH ear protection and see what you think. Now do that without ear protection and in a FULLY enclosed area in probably low light conditions with huge muzzle blast and you will quickly see why. A 115-124 grain 9mm out of a 16" barrel is pushing 357 Mag performance and 147 grainer is usually subsonic if that's your cup of tea. Shorter barrels are more handy for sure are a great option and still keep blast down. If you must go 5.56, use the proper bullet for expansion and penetration performance. There are many great options out there that.

You are so very correct about bullet choice. I use Hornady Critical Defense in my carry gun. I reload 9mm by the thousands though. My kids and I shoot up a ton of 9mm. 124 grain Barry's bullets and plenty of Western Powder's Ramshot Silhouette. My kids can burn up ammo like you wouldn't believe.

An out of the box M16 worked very well for me in 1967 and 1968. You don't want anything to do with "full auto".

I have read many books on the subject and would recommend that you stay with an M4 type rifel with folding or collapsible stock. Red dot wide view optic with 1x or variable 1-4x power. Also should consider highly fragile rounds such as light weight thin jacket hollow points or tipped bullets. A light and laser can be helpful to identify the threat or paint the target in the dark. After you make a choice you need to consider putting up book shelves or filing cabinets on walls to aid in over penetration in order to protect the ones you love. Simple book shelf with random books and magazines on walls in your kids room or behind walls for points of cover in case of a fire fight. You would also be a mile ahead to mentally map you home and lines of fire and establish no go areas for safe fields of fire for the family to be aware and ready. If you do go with a 12ga the use of bird shot #6 to #9 will lessen the chances of over penetration and is completely effective in a home threat environment. Closer that 10 yards it will bring down a large target. You may also consider a sling on your gun it will aid you to retain the firearm incase a threat has the chance to get ahold of the barrel from around the corner. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.