Holiday Doe Season! 9yo son at 550y

KPK

5DDC0F9A-3DAF-4608-AC7E-DFC29E0938E1.jpeg
01949EB2-A54E-4C10-99AE-85794D649B70.jpeg
Just wanted to brag basically. Both of my boys killed bucks in rifle season at 150-200yds, but last night my 9yo shot a doe at 550yds! It was pretty exciting for me.

I was planning on a 300-400yd shot, but they came out in a different spot than usual. He got it done!

That's awesome man! What gun is he shooting, my daughter is about the same age, been kicking around cartridge ideas for her (to include elk some day)?

I shot my first big game animal at 10, so your son beat me, LOL! I bet you guys had fun!

That is so awesome. I gotta say, there is nothing more fulfilling that taking the littles out and having a good hunt. Incredible.

My niece has taken a strong passion to hunting, unfortunately hunting age in Wyoming is 12 years. I took her out practicing long range from when she was 10 or so, getting ready for hunting. Her birthday is in December, so regular season was out of the question, but the first year (winter 2017) she was 12 she drew a late season cow elk tag. We went out 4 times, got on to a huge herd but they were timber rats, so we had to get out there and be ready for a shot between legal shoot light and sun rise. On the 4th day she managed to make a perfect shot through the heart of a cow elk at 610 yards. To be honest, I'm pretty sure I was more excited than her ha ha. That hunt meant more to me than any hunt I have ever been on in my life up to that point, it meant so much more to see her be successful after all her hard work and dedication. Well I created a monster, this season she managed to take 2 doe pronghorn, one buck pronghorn, and a mule deer, respectively at 425 yards, 353 yards, 980 yards, and 580 yards, all 1 shot drt's except the 980 yard buck pronghorn, which I contribute to bullet failure (did not expand - pencil entrance and exit), and she actually made two vital zone hits in a row at 980. I was absolutely blown away with her this year.

I'm happy for you man, that is so great. My oldest son is 5, followed by my daughter, 4, and my wife is due with our second daughter in March. I absolutely can not wait until they are old enough to start hunting big game, my 5 year old son got a cricket .22 for Christmas this year, and he has already practiced with my other nieces .22, so he is pretty stoked for prarie dog hunting this summer.

Take pride in your boys, I certainly would. That is quite the accomplishment.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.