Holding zero

No, it has never shot good, its brand new. Its a 24" black rain with a 1/8 twist. The ladder tests were done with 40gr sierra varminter, 52gr a-max, 60gr varminter, and 68gr hornady match. I did the test with both varget and benchmark.

It seems like something is loose. I will try a set of rings this week and go from there.

You need to try 77 smks. My 8 twist does not like the lighter bullets, it throws 50 gr. Bullets all over the place. It's shoots the 77s in the .2 to .3 range consistently, providing I am using Acculock rings. The rail on this particular rifle is under sized and Badger, Seekins, Leupold MK 4 rings will will still rattle on the base when torques to 65 in. Lbs.

I have a Nesika base that no rings that I have tried will fit. It is larger all over and the ring clamps , lean way out when placed on the base. I have four ARs and the bases are different on all of them. I had to use different rings on them to get a good fit.

Many of the accuracy problems folks have is traceable to this problem. I just bought a new USO Sn3 T Pal and mounted it on a very consistent rifle with Max 50 rings, it shot like crap. I put the same set-up on my pet 308 and it also shot like crap. I called USO and we decided the scope should be sent back.

Before sending it back I decided to try a different set of rings, I put the scope in a set of Seekins and put it on the 308. It shot like a dream, I then pulled the caps off my 375 Chey- tac which also had Max 50 rings and had always shot very nice. I placed the new scope in these rings and shot it. It shot very nice.
So, Now I am suspecting the new set of Max 50 rings. Anyway, to make a long story short, I discovered this particular set of rings will not work if torqued at 65 in. Lbs. I torqued them to 80 lbs and the are holding fine on a 338/408. I can't see any difference in the fit of this set of rings when compared to other Max 50 rings on the same bases. Anyway I hate bases and rings. I have had bases come loose also. I am about ready to TIG the bases to the actions and the rings to the bases and be done with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.