Holding a Geovid Steady

EdWalton

I'm pleased to be working with my new Leica Geovid HD-B. Like every review that I've read it's a great piece of equipment, but the front lens covers will not stay on, so there're useless.

If held steady the rangefinder will range to 2000 yards, but I have a flinch, even when I have both elbows planted on the bench I have an involuntary jump as I press the range button. (I have the same problem with a rifle, but lighter triggers reduce those problems.)

When hunting I may not have my bench to brace on, so what techniques do you use to minimize the rangefinders movements while ranging?

After 50 years it's obvious I need professional help, has anyone seen anything on ending this lifelong flinch?
Thank You

Ed

A tripod adapter would help. Leica makes them. I use a tripod adapter for my Zeiss Binos and it takes a LOT of the shake out and makes 10x binos very useful for glassing.

Leica Universal Binocular Tripod Adapter 42220 B&H Photo Video

You could also attach the adapter to a mono pod. I use some rangefinders that way. The mono pod becomes a walking stick for me and the rangefinder is always right there. Works great for stalking antelope.

Sometimes I rest my binos or rangefinder on a shooting bag. Works much better than my shaky elbows too. :)

If i'm standing up, I hold mine with the bill of my ball cap. It helps steady it some.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.