High Uintas

Bugles get way overused in general areas so I'd only use it if you have to. Also Utah elk hunt dates are as early as they get this year, so don't plan on much rut action until late in the season. And it's pretty hard to get totally away from other hunters up there so just be aware! Best of luck
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Not only other hunters, but scout troops and campers/hikers etc. I was in a stand a few years ago and I could see some elk working their way in from about 100 yards away. All of a sudden I hear singing and they spook and take off. A scout troop comes busting down the ridge 🙄.
Hahaha, that's pretty funny. Although, it probably wasn't at the time.

It's big enough country you'll be able to to find places to hunt without running into people. Just get a couple miles off the trail or go to a place that no one else would have any business being in.

Weather is schizophrenic up there. But, it will likely be cold at night and cool during the day, depending on elevation. Constant rain showers for days isn't likely, but rain is likely. Snow can also be likely. Or it could be 85F.

I'd say that temperatures lows in the low 30'# is not unheard of. I'd certainly bet on low to mid 40's for lows are likely! I lived a bit north of there, in Kemmerer, for a while and saw snow in every month except August. Granted often just flurries, but snow none the less! I've seen single digits in the high country in mid October. So....bring clothes for everything from 20's to 90's and you're covered! memtb

Was out in the uintahs the past week for the opener. Lots of cattle still in the high elevation drainages. Temps in the high 30s AM up to the mid 80s during the day, around 10k feet. Saw some great bucks, but not the Bull I was after. Elk were quiet, cows were barely talking in the morning. Most water sources were dry or fouled up from the cattle, so prepare to pack in some water. Will head back out early September. Good luck everyone.

Was out in the uintahs the past week for the opener. Lots of cattle still in the high elevation drainages. Temps in the high 30s AM up to the mid 80s during the day, around 10k feet. Saw some great bucks, but not the Bull I was after. Elk were quiet, cows were barely talking in the morning. Most water sources were dry or fouled up from the cattle, so prepare to pack in some water. Will head back out early September. Good luck everyone.
Hey thanks for that, I really appreciate the tip about the water. I'm really glad you saw some good ones, I hope you get the one your after. We'll be up there the first week in September.

Fire fighters came through the basin I was in on Saturday to check on hot spots a few drainages over. Much respect to them for keeping our forests safe. Some brave and tough ladies and gentlemen.

Needless to say, no luck there. I dropped down to a lower elevation and found sign from a few days ago but no animals. Rough one this year

Fire fighters came through the basin I was in on Saturday to check on hot spots a few drainages over. Much respect to them for keeping our forests safe. Some brave and tough ladies and gentlemen.

Needless to say, no luck there. I dropped down to a lower elevation and found sign from a few days ago but no animals. Rough one this year

I have some nice bulls in trail cam pics but haven't been able to connect!

All that smoke from rock creek drainage got really bad today. That looks like a decent size fire

The western Unitas have a large fire going on called East Fork estimated at 2842 acres (according to https://gacc.nifc.gov/gbcc/ the best place I have found info on fires, etc). There is one reported as Leidy Peak fire, supposed to be less than 0.1 acre, just reported today. Several more, Center Creek Trail reported as 80 acres and Phinney Lake 5 acres... If you really want fire information that web site is great. I put myself through college at Utah State fighting forest fires in the summers many years ago before all the specialized gear teams etc existed. If I recall correctly the East Fork fire is being "used to manage resources" aka let burn. We live in Cache Valley and my brother lives not far from Colorado

The western Unitas have a large fire going on called East Fork estimated at 2842 acres (according to https://gacc.nifc.gov/gbcc/ the best place I have found info on fires, etc). There is one reported as Leidy Peak fire, supposed to be less than 0.1 acre, just reported today. Several more, Center Creek Trail reported as 80 acres and Phinney Lake 5 acres... If you really want fire information that web site is great. I put myself through college at Utah State fighting forest fires in the summers many years ago before all the specialized gear teams etc existed. If I recall correctly the East Fork fire is being "used to manage resources" aka let burn. We live in Cache Valley and my brother lives not far from Colorado

I'll check out your link. I've been using inciweb as well as caltopo. Caltopo is great for seeing really recently started fires, but doesn't really provide much info on them.

Yes it says that area hasn't burned for 50+ years and has a lot of deadfall that needs to burn. Hopefully they can control it to a degree if it becomes larger

The HIgh Unitas East Fork fire is now reported to be 3457 acres and now is being "fully suppressed" I think that bureaucratic phrase means being fought to put it out. There are two more fires in the High Unitas, one called Phinney Lake at 182 acres and another Center Creek Trail at 89 acres.

The HIgh Unitas East Fork fire is now reported to be 3457 acres and now is being "fully suppressed" I think that bureaucratic phrase means being fought to put it out. There are two more fires in the High Unitas, one called Phinney Lake at 182 acres and another Center Creek Trail at 89 acres.
Yea, I've been monitoring them on that website you posted. I hope they can get those under control. We spent some time last night and planned out a different route.....again. SEMPER GUMBY, I think were on plan E or F and our second state for this year, nothing seems to want to work out for us.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.