Hi from Montana

gr8whyt

Long time shooter, reloader, and hunter...first time poster. Looking forward to this site.

My home is in Helena, MT. It's great! Lots of hunting and shooting opportunities. Although lately it's been cold enough to freeze the BOABM. LOL!

I'm in the process of building a .257 Wby. Mag. This rifle started life as a Rem. 700 ADL in 7mm Rem. Mag. I bought used about 28 years ago. However, when rebarreled (with a new Lilja stainless tube) and the project is complete, the only original part will be the bare receiver. I can't wait.

Well, lots of browsing to do here...looking forward to it.

-- gr8whyt

Welcome aboard..

You'll enjoy that cartridge!

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

What is the bore configuration, twist and number of lands/grooves and length?

Welcome aboard..

You'll enjoy that cartridge!

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

What is the bore configuration, twist and number of lands/grooves and length?

Thanks for the welcome!

The barrel I'm getting for my 700 Rem is a Lilja stainless steel .257-10 twist 3 groove. I am going to have it finished as long as possible, which is 27" I think. The stock is a Bell & Carlson Medalist with the full length aluminum bedding block and has a Williams trigger guard/floorplate. It has a new Jewell trigger set at 2.5 lbs.

Score High Gunsmithing of Albuquerque, NM is doing the metal and stock work which will include blue printing the action and fully bedding the action, barrel, and trigger guard. Although I'm not sure yet...they could possibly talk me into free-floating the barrel instead.

Hope it's a shooter when I'm done. I know several folks that have the .257 Wby, but they are all Weatherby factory rifles...mine will be the first "custom" of the bunch. Suddenly that's the only rifle they want to shoot at all. Hope I'm as happy with mine as they are with theirs.

-- gr8whyt

All my 257's have loved the 115 Berger VLD's. I would be glad to share a few to see if your rifle likes them when you are ready.

Also, I am a board member of the Broadwater Co. Rod and Gun club. In warm weather we do a long range shoot at our Townsend "Indian Creek" range. Several members from here have attended. It is casual and we always have a great time. We would love to meet you there this spring if you are interested.

Jeff gun)gun)

All my 257's have loved the 115 Berger VLD's. I would be glad to share a few to see if your rifle likes them when you are ready.

Also, I am a board member of the Broadwater Co. Rod and Gun club. In warm weather we do a long range shoot at our Townsend "Indian Creek" range. Several members from here have attended. It is casual and we always have a great time. We would love to meet you there this spring if you are interested.

Jeff gun)gun)

Jeff,

Thanks for the invite. I'm a member of the Prickly Pear Sportsman's Assoc. in Helena. But I'm up for a shoot at the Broadwater Co. range also. I haven't been there, but it's only a 30 mile drive to Indian Creek. Let me know when you want to shoot. Send a pm if you want.

Not sure when the .257 Roy will be ready...The rifle is at the gunsmith's now and I will be sending the new pipe soon. But if the .257 isn't ready, I have a couple other guns I can shoot.

-- gr8whyt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts