Hi all

hunlee

Hunlee just fine this forum so sineup is now compleet.I has a grate interest in shootin long lange but rifles are thing of the past for Hunlee.I shooting tc Contender rite now but Hunlee has questions about shoots TC Contenders out at long range.Just how far you shoot thems?I has shoot out to 150 or 200 befour but now I am seein sevural are puttin rilfe scope on pistol so 400-500-600-700 yd can be had,But Hunlee only has money for 2-6 Bushnell scope on Tc contender.Just how far can one shoots with just 2-6?Hunlee will keep watch of pistol forums from now on tryin to picup pointer from time to time and with more money maybe during the nex few weeks rifle scope can be had.Hunlee thanks everyone for any help or idea for long range shootin in advance

Hunlee

Hunlee just fine this forum so sineup is now compleet.I has a grate interest in shootin long lange but rifles are thing of the past for Hunlee.I shooting tc Contender rite now but Hunlee has questions about shoots TC Contenders out at long range.Just how far you shoot thems?I has shoot out to 150 or 200 befour but now I am seein sevural are puttin rilfe scope on pistol so 400-500-600-700 yd can be had,But Hunlee only has money for 2-6 Bushnell scope on Tc contender.Just how far can one shoots with just 2-6?Hunlee will keep watch of pistol forums from now on tryin to picup pointer from time to time and with more money maybe during the nex few weeks rifle scope can be had.Hunlee thanks everyone for any help or idea for long range shootin in advance Hunlee

Hunlee,
First of all, welcome to longrangehunting.
You can do a lot with a 2-6 power scope. I have killed a prairie dog with a 10.25 inch barrel chambered in 221 Fireball using a 40 grain Ballistic Tip bullet out past 500 yards using a 2-6 Redfield long eye relief pistol scope.
It is harder this way but it can be done.
What barrels do you have for your Contender?
What type of shooting would you like to do with it?

hunlee owns a 223 Super 14 barrel an thats the one with 2-6 scope.Hunlee allso owns 375 Windchester barrel an thats for taking deer and such but only 2x Burris scope.Been thinking about a good long ranger barrel for the old Contender but iI at wits end thinkin about this.Maybe a good old time 7-30 water or maybe something speciel.But with new barreel then comes new scope and the dollars for both at same time has Hunlee feeling sick to his stomick.Hunlee allready knows 223 can shoot but this is only for crow,ground hog,gofor and a few others.I am in needs of a long ranger for deer.

hunlee

What kind of range are you wanting for deer from the Contender?
What style of hunting do you use the majority of the time?
Where are you from hunlee?

From a LR perspective, my top choice for factory cartridges in the Contender is the 7x30 Waters. Another good wildcat is the 30-30AI.
The best LR wildcat for me in the contender would 5.6x50R improved necked up to 6.5. In a tender it will outrun anything distance wise with great killing ability. RWS brass is expensive but the dies can be purchased easily (6.5 TCU) and use a 357 mag sizing die to take care of the whole length of the case. I would go with at least a 15" barrel and wouldn't hesitate going longer for better downrange performance.

hunlee has never heard of this 5.6x50R improved case then necked to 6.5.....Maybe i will do a surch on my computer just to see if smething come up.Long range hitten power is a must for hunting out on the field edge where deer are feeding,sure a nice rifle will bring them down but hunlee has been there an done that.Venison steaks in the freezer most times so Contender puts more fun into the hunt for hunlee.Just where do i get on of these nice fast hard hitting calibers barrels.TC have them or maybe Bullberrie customs?XP you has got me interested.

hunlee

hunlee wishes many thanks to you XP.I willbe checkin the link out for sure and will return with thoughts on the subject

hunlee

hunlee went an visited Mike Bellem site and I looked things over pretty good.Hunlee is somewhat confused about Mike Bellm not making sugestions as to who to make barrel.Maybe with alittle more resurch hunlee can make a importan decision on barrel purchase.Another concern for hunlee is proper reloading equipememnt for this exciting new caliber.Hunlee does load bullets for 223 and the 375 Windchester but Richard Lee reloading press and die are on the bench.You suppost Richard Lee stuff is good enough?

hunlee

Lee should do okay press wise.
Again it all depends on what you want to do. I would suggest to use what you already have to begin with. If time and money allows you can always upgrade later. It will give you performance close to a 260 Rem in a SP (encore or bolt rig).
I would say OTT - Mike Sirios (spelling?) or MGM for barrels.
Mike Bellm does not typically do a custom barrel to your specs.

XP I go to mgm web sight but no listing of such a caliber there.I check chart over real good too.Maybe mgm not the one for the job.

Hunlee has another question for XP or others......If hunlee decides to buy rifle scope for Contender pistol what would be good scope for low recoilin caliber?Hunlee would never think of puttin rifle scope on 375 Windchester,black eye for sure!maybee on 223 caliber super 14 barrel.Scope would have to be good quality but hunlee would have to be able to eat food after buyin scope.You think Bushnell scope would be OK for hunlee to try?I thinking maybe up to 20 power with dial adjustment for yardage settings?Maybe XP or other here will have other ideas for hunlee?Please give ideas for rifle scope for 223 caliber and thanks agin

hunlee

Then you want Mike S. @ On Target Technologies (OTT) [email protected]
Mike can easily do the job for you.
Leupold is my first answer. To my knowledge they have the longest best eye relief (other than Night Force-which is too much money for you currently) at high magnification.
If it is 20 power you want then start looking up the specs of rifle scopes in the eye relief distance at the highest power or 20x. Then compare and make your decision based on your finances.
For a fixed power scope the 20x Super Sniper may be the answer to having high power and keeping it in the $300 range.

I need to know what distances you are considering?
Also, the 3-12 Burris LER is a great handgun scope. It is my top choice hands down for the LER's.

I been thinking maybe 300yds tops but with rite caliber maybe 350yds.....Sometime ago i read when big game was taken at long range with Contender.hunlee also hear about long range shooting of varmint animal like wood chuck,gofor and prarie dog.This is a nice thought for hunlee 300yds with pistol.Some day maybe hunlee will take big game aminal out at long rane with hand gun as well.3-12 Burris scope may be answer for hunlee.Price of Burris is high but better than some.Maybe with some planning hunlee can get new high class scope and still be able to eat

hunlee

300 yards is a reachable goal with this cartridge (maybe 350). I would go with a longer barrel than 15 inches though to get as much horsepower as possible.
When you get the Burris 3-12 LER, I would the Ballistic Plex Reticle or get one with target turrets so you can run clicks (or both).
The BP reticle would probably be the easiest way though.
once I have some time to check them out there is a new/old barrel maker that has economy priced barrels with good accuracy. MCGowan barrels is now under a new ownership and they have brought in new equipment and have corrected some tolerances on some other things. I will be trying a couple of these barrels soon and then I can say how I feel about them.
Hunlee,
You never answered my question before, but what state do you live in?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.