Best All Around Rest

doniphan

I would really like to start using my Contender for more hunting situations like coyotes etc. What is a steady, portable, rest that works well for close work say 50 to 100 yards that will also work well for the longer 100+ yard shots? Bi-pod? Or the Stoney Point tri-pod? Or is there such an animal? I have trouble getting stabilized on longer shots. I practice by punching lots of holes in paper and by shooting squirrels and coons with my 17m2 barrel so I get practice at odd angles and such. What are your suggestions? Thanks

Here's a bad pic of what I use.
DSCF3268.jpg

SO far it's worked out to 248 yds. just past dusk. (glad there was snow)
I put the sling around my neck with tension and rest the Striker in the shooting sticks, very steady. When they got in close at 30 yds I shot offhand, but then again I shoot a lot of silhouettes during the summer and I can't rest my arms against my body and I have to stand too.
The 'seat' is like the stadium seats and sure helps my back and keeps me pretty steady too.
I also much prefer a rifle scope too.
I got my first yote two years ago with my Contender in 6tcu using the same setup.

Mike

So if I understand you correctly. You're using the sling around your neck to be able to push against the gun while it rests in the sticks? I don't have a sling on my contender grip or fore end. I will look into it. Also, how does the rifle scope work? What do you do about eye releif? Thanks Yotefever.

I put just enough pressure to help stabilize the gun on the sticks. I added a sling swivel to my Contenders very easily. I have one with a loop on it to put around the Contender grip with a swivel on the forend.
I like the lupy's because of the extra eye relief over other cheaper scopes. I don't have a NF yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I like having more power and so far no one makes a pistol scope with more than 12x and I do like being closer to the gun, I find it more stable and easier to find my target. To bad you don't live nearby, I'd be happy to take you to my range and let you try some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You are just a touch past yonder from me. But I appreciate the thought. I just might have to try a rifle scope. It sounds odd to me, but hey I'll try anything once. I'm checking with Boyd about a fore end similar to their carbine (bevertail type) but for the pistol barrels. I would like the longer, flatter, wood for this and it would give me more area for two sling swivels for sling and bipod. Thanks for the help.

nocturnalnasty,
I'm a tad closer, but still a drive.
I have both the 3-12 LER's that yote is talking about and the high mag rifle scopes on my SP's.
If you ever make it this way, give me a holler a head of time and we will see if we can shoot awhile.

Several years ago Steve and I did a tactical shoot in Wyoming with our XP's/3-12 Burris LER's. If we do it again I for sure will be using a rifle scope (don't see a full FOV when shooting) on my XP-more FOV, more magnification, better/faster/easier turret system (M1 knobs), and more reticle options.

For the real close stuff a good sized pack, shooting sticks and Harris' 25C bi-pod. The stadium seat really aids in steadying yourself.

Xphunter I appreciate the info. I think I'm going to try the rifle scope. And I agree about the stadium seat. I just picked up a turkey vest, the best design I've seen with a stadium seat built in for a comfy seat even without anything else to lean against. I think with a little practice using the vest it will improve my field shooting. And I appreciate the offer to come shoot sometime. Don't get out to Kansas often, but I will try to let you know if I do.

sscoyote, I finally figured out how to crack the combination and got into the link. I really like both of the ideas on the link. The stadium seat and the bipod look like they would be really mobile and work VERY well. I've got to get a larger fore end for my contender to be able to put the swivel stud and bipod on. Can't wait to try it out. Thank you so much for the great idea. I think I will also build the bench top tripod too. Looks like it should work well too. Thanks again. Nasty

OK boys, here is my first attempt. It actually works very well even though the tripod is a light weight unit. I think this same setup on a really study pod could be as good as shooting from a bench. This really works well, I'd say a 7.5 or 8.0 compared to bench. Thanks again for the great ideas. I'll update you as I make improvements.
IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

looks good, what did you make your top out of?. mine is working great, i can't wait to try it out some more.
nmhunter

I made the top out of some promotional sign material I had out in my garage. It's a lightweight polymer sandwiched between two outside layers of thin aluminum. It is light and rigid. Then I just covered the top and bottom with some camo duct tape I had laying around.

Looks great. I can't believe the gps. Tom is getting from his setup. That's just amazing really!

The stadium seat setup is one of the most practical additions i've ever made for hunting prairie country for coyotes. It has so many useful features, and dirt cheap. When i hunt coyotes these days, i usually park my truck, and walk several hours after hydrating myself at the vehicle. I can put on many miles in prairie country this way comfortably, and with the stadium seat cinched around my waist i have all the makings for comfortable shooting right there easily carried, and accessed.

Steve,
I'm glad I learned about the seat from you before because they are no longer sold at wm along with any other hunting stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.