Hey you Pronghorn hunters....

I was going to say the same thing about jumping/ducking fences.

More predator hunting is what will bring the population up.

Took me 27 years, but I finally drew my first AZ Pronghorn tag this year.
I had always thought that too. Few years back we were in Great Basin Nat. Park and we're watching a couple of antelope by a fence. Soon as I told my wife they don't jump, one does go over three strands of "bob whar" and then back. I have since learned not to dispense my wisdom where it may backfire.

I had always thought that too. Few years back we were in Great Basin Nat. Park and we're watching a couple of antelope by a fence. Soon as I told my wife they don't jump, one does go over three strands of "bob whar" and then back. I have since learned not to dispense my wisdom where it may backfire.

They're not very good at it….but, can do it! They look like me trying to jump a 4-strand! 😁 memtb

I personally have never once seen a pronghorn jump a 3-strand fence. I am sure they do sometimes, as noted by the video. Where they look so graceful doing so in the deep snow when landing on the other side.
But I have seen them literally slide under on a 40+mph run like a ball player sliding into home plate, then keep on running once they are under.

I've only seen one "mega herd" here in South Dakota. It was during late November during an early, snowy winter while I was mule deer hunting in the northwest part of the state. From a distance, I assumed it was a giant herd of sheep, not at all uncommon for that area. When I put the glass on them, I was amazed...I had never seen that many together. I estimated it to be 300-400...far fewer than the OP's video.

The other day
20230409_190342.jpg

Last edited:
Many years ago a buddy and I had late season antelope tags in Wyoming. They were in bounces of 100-200 and talk about being hard to hunt! It was before long range shooting was a thing and fooling that many eyes was impossible. We finally had to split up and try to herd them to one another. Not exactly my kind of hunting for sure, but it was amazing to see that many antelope in a bunch. The hard part for us was antelope bucks shed their horn sheaths early and half the bucks we saw were missing a horn sheath. It was also very cold and froze our cherry pie solid inside our tent. Now I'm a fair weather antelope hunter.