Here We Go Again! I need to build a Mule Deer Rifle

I know this subject is worn out but things are constantly changing and I want to hear from knowledgable shooters.
Last year I took a Mule Deer buck with a 6 Creed at a little over 350 yds because .270 got damaged. Deer dropped in its tracks with a shot through the shoulders. Guides kinda didn't like the idea but my other option was to shoot an unfamiliar, borrowed rifle, but that is another story.
I have an empty short action (bolt head isn't an issue) and was thinking about putting something together to shoot out to about 400. I was thinking about 7-08 but maybe I'm missing other options. I have also thought about 270 WSSM, but never shot one and recoil.....
Maybe experienced people can chime in with thoughts on something else or both. Recoil is a consideration, I hand load for several current and former wildcats but for this one, I can/will hand load but off shelf or internet ammo would be good.
Bullet selection, barrel twist etc suggestions welcome, short barrel is a plus, I do not want a 6.5 Creedmore!
Oh yea, going to same place this year!
Give some thought to the 6.8 Western. Since you already have a 270 this would be your 270 on steroids

A wise fellow once told me "bullets matter more than headstamp".
Maybe figure out what bullet you're going to use and then build or buy a rifle around that bullet at your desired velocity.

The Hornady factory 108 ELDM ammo and the Berger factory 105 hybrid ammo sure works well in my 6 creed.

If recoil is a consideration I would build a 308 with a muzzle break. Some many options if you handload. The 6 cm is a fine muley round. If I was guiding you I wouldn't have a problem with you showing up with that round ad long as you are accurate with it. I prefer an accurate hunter over someone with a 30-378 wby who is afraid of their rifle.

I know this subject is worn out but things are constantly changing and I want to hear from knowledgable shooters.
Last year I took a Mule Deer buck with a 6 Creed at a little over 350 yds because .270 got damaged. Deer dropped in its tracks with a shot through the shoulders. Guides kinda didn't like the idea but my other option was to shoot an unfamiliar, borrowed rifle, but that is another story.
I have an empty short action (bolt head isn't an issue) and was thinking about putting something together to shoot out to about 400. I was thinking about 7-08 but maybe I'm missing other options. I have also thought about 270 WSSM, but never shot one and recoil.....
Maybe experienced people can chime in with thoughts on something else or both. Recoil is a consideration, I hand load for several current and former wildcats but for this one, I can/will hand load but off shelf or internet ammo would be good.
Bullet selection, barrel twist etc suggestions welcome, short barrel is a plus, I do not want a 6.5 Creedmore!
I love my 7x08 on a G .33/40 action, a custom made carbine, shoots out to 600 yd like it had eyes, the 7x08 is very very good in my opinion, taken mulies , white tail, antelope, they drop always, and I shoot the 139gr Hornady, it's a real nail driver and light recoil. Also have many other rifles but the 08 is always with me too.

I'm hard over on either 1. 308-168gr or 2. 270Win with 130gr!
I just returned from Africa and my wife and I took 10 animals from 2000lb Eland, Kudu, sable, Zebra to Wart hogs with those two calibers. Both put them all down effectively!
My favorite Elk killing machine is a 270 win, 140gr accubonds!

A wise fellow once told me "bullets matter more than headstamp".
Maybe figure out what bullet you're going to use and then build or buy a rifle around that bullet at your desired velocity.

The Hornady factory 108 ELDM ammo and the Berger factory 105 hybrid ammo sure works well in my 6 creed.
Kimber7man hit it right on the head.......

When hunting in the western states for deer or antelope, fast twist .22-250's or .220 Swifts were my first choice for decades due to shoulder issues and tolerating recoil. However, the 6 Creed has taken center stage since it was introduced with zero complaints. I never was a big 6mm fan, but the 6 Creed changed that thanks to twist and bullets that are available.

I'm hard over on either 1. 308-168gr or 2. 270Win with 130gr!
I just returned from Africa and my wife and I took 10 animals from 2000lb Eland, Kudu, sable, Zebra to Wart hogs with those two calibers. Both put them all down effectively!
My favorite Elk killing machine is a 270 win, 140gr accubonds! Use what you "can shoot well"

Under 400 just go 300bo with 110-125gr. Other than that there's no need for any magnum. If you reload then possibilities are wider. Are you a metric or imperial person;)🤣🤣? 260rem is easy!