Henson .338 265gr Gen II beats the 300gr SMK again

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW,RG....

That's some exit wound!...Looks like it was shot at 100 yards!

Thanks for the report lightvarmint.

Can't wait to try those 30 cal 210s.

Steve

Steve,

Interesting you are a 210 fan.......... I will be shooting those for 30-378 load developement tomorrow. FWIW, we were comparing different bullets lengths tonight and compared the 210 Berger and the 210 HAT......... The HAT was .282" longer than the 210 Berger and had a much smoother aero profile..... Just imagine the BC!

Lightvarmint

Steve,

Interesting you are a 210 fan.......... I will be shooting those for 30-378 load developement tomorrow. FWIW, we were comparing different bullets lengths tonight and compared the 210 Berger and the 210 HAT......... The HAT was .282" longer than the 210 Berger and had a much smoother aero profile..... Just imagine the BC!

Lightvarmint

Yep,...BC rules.I'm more of an extreme range shooter than hunter.I have a 375Cheytac but it isn't the most accurate rifle around(1.5MOA) and with lathe turned solids at $3.28 a piece .I'm looking to find an alternative for out to 2000 yards..I have a 30-375 Ruger wildcat.It's a little slow compared to your 30-378 and Eddy's 338 AM but shoots good.

I was able to hit my 24x36 inch steel plate at 1800 yards most of the time on a calm day with the 240SMks.The thing I like about the 30-375 is it's accurate.The last 5 shot group I shot was .080 wide and .22 tall ctc at 100yards.I hope to retain this level of accuracy with the 210 HAT's and take advantage of the extra BC.A picture of the plate is on the Snipers hide.

300 Win Mag, what bullet for long range? - Sniper's Hide Forums

If this works out I might put the 375 up for sale again.

Steve

Steve,

First of all, thanks for your interest in the bullets..... Mr Henson is currently awaiting a set of .375 dies designed for which to use to make high BC aluminum tipped .375s for you guys with those larger cased rifles. Don't sell your big thumper just yet. Additionally, these dies have been on order for close to a year and they should be getting close to a delivery of the order.

Lightvarmint

I was able to run these up to 3400fps today in my 338AM without any problems. I forgot to confirm my 100 yard zero, but they were impacting my 800 yard target at least 2 MOA higher than the 300SMK. If my 100 yard zero is the same that would be 9.5 MOA to 800 yards. They shoot just as well as the SMK IMO, probably better. The last 3 shots I fired were 3409, 3411, and 3408 fps. I was using a single case and 11 reloadings out of Kirbys headstamped 33AM brass. I could swage the primer pocket and get more firings off that case. I would bet someone willing to push the envelope could get 3500. I worked up to 3440 but it started opening up a bit.

Eddyboo,

Sounds like you just about have the Holy Grail of shooting sticks and loading components......... Just out of curiosity, how much copper fouling evidence have you seen on your patches? The reason I am asking is that I am not seeing any on my custom barrels (30/378 and 338 Lapua Improved) even with an all night soak of shooters choice and following it up with a session of Sweets...... I am not against the color blue, it is just that I am not seeing any of it on my patches of my custom barrels.

Just curious if the big thumpers are providing evidence of copper fouling.

Lightvarmint

Broz,

If you want to crunch some numbers and tinker with the possibilities, here is the confirmed data we have:

Muzzle Velocity--- 3245.5

Zeroed at 411

Impact at 602 yards -3.5 moa (note this was done on the target one morning and then the next day on the deer and the impacts were the same drop values. This compares to the 300 SMK at max hunting velocity (2988.5) with a zero of 400 yards and a -4.9 moa drop at 602 yards.

Lightvarmint

What elevation?

What elevation?

Well, I ran the numbers at 25ft. Assuming that you did the testing in Goose Creek, SC which is on the coast.

I can see why you don't want to post the BC. It's VERY VERY high. I don't even want to post it. I hope it turns out to be true.

Paul

Nope no copper with in either a kreiger or lilja thus far.

Eddyboo,

Sounds like you just about have the Holy Grail of shooting sticks and loading components......... Just out of curiosity, how much copper fouling evidence have you seen on your patches? The reason I am asking is that I am not seeing any on my custom barrels (30/378 and 338 Lapua Improved) even with an all night soak of shooters choice and following it up with a session of Sweets...... I am not against the color blue, it is just that I am not seeing any of it on my patches of my custom barrels.

Just curious if the big thumpers are providing evidence of copper fouling.

Lightvarmint

How accurate are the hat bullets?

I shot 3 groups with the 265s at 800 yards the other day with my APS 338 AM here they are.

First group was about 3 MOA higher than my point of AIM. I was using my drops for the 300 SMK.
I lost control of onegun)The group consists of two bigger holes on the left and the one one the right. The two center holes were with another rifle. That is one of those great big stubby markers I put in for referance, I should have used something else but it is what I had in my hand to mark the target. I actually should have taken the pics before I used the marker to mark the hole, but didnt think about taking pics till I was through shooting.

IMAG0025.jpg

I had to try again.

I adjust the elevation down, but not enough, and these three were just about on the paper. But I did keep em tight.

IMAG0024.jpg

I was tickled. Adjusted the scope down warned the wife I would be shooting outside the shooting room and that it would be very load and shot this group prone from a bipod using my hand as a rear bag. I would say that it is the best I have done without a proper rear bag.

IMAG0026.jpg

I shot this group the day before with my 06-AI using the 180 HATs

It is the bottom 4 shots that I am reffering to. The two above it were from other calibers.

IMAG0018.jpg

Now how do they perform on animals? I will probably not know until this coming weekend. I had a hunt planned in TX to shoot a whitetail and for the wife to shoot an exotic. I think I am going to let the wife shoot the whitetail and I am going to put the smack down on some axis does to test out the performance. But from the looks of the photo posted it looks promising.

Eddyboo,

Good shooting. The 265gr HATS seem accurate at 800 yards. ;)

Lightvarmnt

I am hoping to take them over to my buddies and shoot them at 1400 wensday. I have a lot to do before my TX trip,but should be ready in time.

I am hoping to take them over to my buddies and shoot them at 1400 wensday. I have a lot to do before my TX trip,but should be ready in time.

Eddyboo,

I hope your kestrel does not give up the ghost like mine did on our Missouri hunt.

Lightvarmint

How did the testing go with the .30 cal bullets? I'm interested in running some through my 30-378 accumark. Are they available to the public yet?

How accurate are the hat bullets?

I shot 3 groups with the 265s at 800 yards the other day with my APS 338 AM here they are.

First group was about 3 MOA higher than my point of AIM. I was using my drops for the 300 SMK.

The same BC as the 300 SMK and an additional 60 FPS will raise the group 3 MOA at 800 yards. According to ExBall

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.