338 Lapua/ 300gr SMK

G

I'm trying to work up an accurate load with my 338 Lapua with a 30" barrel for an upcoming elk hunt. I've tried H1000 so far with 1" 3shot groups at 100yds. Anybody know of a better powder to use or have any insight on this cartridge/ bullet combo? I've heard that Retumbo works pretty good in another members rifle, looking for any and all advice.
Thanks,
Wayne

Dave King

I use RL25 and Retumbo.

I also keep the velocity at 2850 to 2900 (less than maximum velocity I can achieve).

G

Dave,
Thanks for the info. If I may ask, what length and contour is your barrel? Also what kind of accuracy are you achieving with your rifle?
My barrel is a #5 contour and fluted, heats up pretty quick with just a few shots. Nice to carry but 3 shot groups are about it unless you have lotsa time. Took 2hrs to shoot 4 groups.
Thanks again,
Wayne

ewallace

Wayne McD
I have had good luck with H1000 in my 338 Yogi (338 Lapua Mag IMP) and as Dave suggested RL25 is a good one you may want to try Retumbo also. What bullet are you shooting? I have shoot 8.5 inches with my gun at 1000 Yards that was 10 shots. The barrel is a 34 inch lilja
Crow Mag

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce