338 Lapua/ 300gr SMK

G

I'm trying to work up an accurate load with my 338 Lapua with a 30" barrel for an upcoming elk hunt. I've tried H1000 so far with 1" 3shot groups at 100yds. Anybody know of a better powder to use or have any insight on this cartridge/ bullet combo? I've heard that Retumbo works pretty good in another members rifle, looking for any and all advice.
Thanks,
Wayne

I use RL25 and Retumbo.

I also keep the velocity at 2850 to 2900 (less than maximum velocity I can achieve).

Dave,
Thanks for the info. If I may ask, what length and contour is your barrel? Also what kind of accuracy are you achieving with your rifle?
My barrel is a #5 contour and fluted, heats up pretty quick with just a few shots. Nice to carry but 3 shot groups are about it unless you have lotsa time. Took 2hrs to shoot 4 groups.
Thanks again,
Wayne

Wayne McD
I have had good luck with H1000 in my 338 Yogi (338 Lapua Mag IMP) and as Dave suggested RL25 is a good one you may want to try Retumbo also. What bullet are you shooting? I have shoot 8.5 inches with my gun at 1000 Yards that was 10 shots. The barrel is a 34 inch lilja
Crow Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.