Henry Long Ranger 6.5 Creedmoor

thebearking

Sorry If this is in the wrong spot, I'm still pretty new to LRH. I am looking a christmas present for my dad, who cut his teeth hunting whitetail with a Marlin 30-30 lever action. So fast forward to now, and I saw the Henry Long Ranger chambered in 6.5 creedmoor and thought it may be exactly what he is looking for, a gun he could use on deer drives and something that could reach out 400+ yards on a whitetail with some power while still being a lever action. However, doing some reading on it, it appears it comes with a pretty heavy trigger. I'm reading some reviews that are putting it north of 7-8 lbs which I know 100% he absolutely hates any of his guns being that heavy. I have a 30-06 with a timney that is 2.5lbs and he loved it so much he changed out a couple of his guns the following week for something similar.

So my question comes to this, how hard is it to adjust this trigger down to something closer to his preference? I have seen a couple irksome post on what people had to go through to change the Browning BLRs and I definitely don't want to sign him up for something like that, and if that is the case - I might go a completely different route with something like an AR-10 get him where he would want to be. Thank you all in advance for any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

From what I've read on the net it's possible. Will be a real pain. I would have a qualified gun smith tackle the trigger job but from what I've seen under 4lb may not be possible. But I'm not sure. If it were me I'd look at other rifles. Ar10 you can get lots of updates if your building it your self the sky's the limit. Me personally if your set on a 6.5 creed. Tikka t3x light. Affordable great action hell love the trigger. If your into hand loading 97g absolute hammers and 124 hammer hunter shoot amazing out of my wife's Tikka.

I love the old levers and completely understand. I'll be following this thread because I've been wanting a long ranger since they came out.
I have 3 Blr's and triggers aren't that bad one has been worked over and it shows. The older steel one is the worst. The alloy one has been worked I believe. The newer takedown I don't remember as being bad but it's I. 450 marlin so not like I use all the time.

May I suggest the newly released Winchester Model 1895. They are offered in 30-40 Krag, 30-06 and 405 Winchester. I have the 30-40 and absolutely love it. Not sure if the 30-06 would be too much for him? Neither the 30-40 or the 405 would be practical for 400. 20221106_160308.jpg

May I suggest the newly released Winchester Model 1895. They are offered in 30-40 Krag, 30-06 and 405 Winchester. I have the 30-40 and absolutely love it. Not sure if the 30-06 would be too much for him? Neither the 30-40 or the 405 would be practical for 400.View attachment 411638
I don't know much about them - anything you would nitpick about it 308win?

From what I've read on the net it's possible. Will be a real pain. I would have a qualified gun smith tackle the trigger job but from what I've seen under 4lb may not be possible. But I'm not sure. If it were me I'd look at other rifles. Ar10 you can get lots of updates if your building it your self the sky's the limit. Me personally if your set on a 6.5 creed. Tikka t3x light. Affordable great action hell love the trigger. If your into hand loading 97g absolute hammers and 124 hammer hunter shoot amazing out of my wife's Tikka.
Thank you for the reply - I know going to a bolt would solve a few problems but he still does some old school deer drives and pretty much means you gotta go something like a lever, pump, semi-auto...etc.

The 308win in the Model 99 Savage is a fine rifle to carry, in fact In my opinion it's one of the finest carry (hunting) rifles out there. I'm not sure if the accuracy would be there for a 400yrd shot, but I've never tried it either?

My Model 1895 (30-40 Krag) is loaded with 150RN running 2700fps, so basically 308win performance. This is an open sights rifle, so anything past about 150yrds I wouldn't attempt.

I love the old levers and completely understand. I'll be following this thread because I've been wanting a long ranger since they came out.
I have 3 Blr's and triggers aren't that bad one has been worked over and it shows. The older steel one is the worst. The alloy one has been worked I believe. The newer takedown I don't remember as being bad but it's I. 450 marlin so not like I use all the time.
I shot one of my uncle's, he has a 30-06 BLR, and if it was my gun, I would have shot it once and sent it straight to a smith - I couldn't believe how hard the trigger pull was on it, and per him - it's just not a very accurate gun after trying many different ammo loads through it. Obviously it's just one gun, but it did not inspire me when I read that others had similar experiences.

The 308win in the Model 99 Savage is a fine rifle to carry, in fact In my opinion it's one of the finest carry (hunting) rifles out there. I'm not sure if the accuracy would be there for a 400yrd shot, but I've never tried it either?

My Model 1895 (30-40 Krag) is loaded with 150RN running 2700fps, so basically 308win performance. This is an open sights rifle, so anything past about 150yrds I wouldn't attempt.
Thank you sir.

a gun he could use on deer drives and something that could reach out 400+ yards on a whitetail
Whitetail at 400+, with irons is a tall order for many- including me. With a 10" or so kill zone, that's just over a 2 MOA shot at 400.
Are you sure he's up to that?

Whitetail at 400+, with irons is a tall order for many- including me. With a 10" or so kill zone, that's just over a 2 MOA shot at 400.
Are you sure he's up to that?
Iron sights, no. He would run an optic on there of some sort. He runs/owns a pretty good sized farm so there is plenty of opportunity for him to stretch the legs out on any rifle he carries around out there.

^^^
My bad- just looked it up, quite a departure from their typical lever actions.

Trying to learn more about the fire control mechanism- interesting that they recommend carrying the rifle (it has no safety) with a round in the chamber and hammer down.

^^^
My bad- just looked it up, quite a departure from their typical lever actions.

Trying to learn more about the fire control mechanism- interesting that they recommend carrying the rifle (it has no safety) with a round in the chamber and hammer down.
If I remember correctly, his Marlin 30-30 is like that as well...I don't remember seeing a safety on that either.