6.5 Creedmoor free bore?

John6

I'm going to have a 6.5 CM built as a light weight hunting rifle for my daughter and have some questions. I'm only interested in shooting the 120-123 gr. bullets and wondered what free bore is appropriate? Near as I can tell the .130 should work. My magazine will allow a max length of 2.715. So is this doable without seating the bullet past the neck/shoulder junction? I would like to be able to reach the lands or close and still fit the magazine.

I have lurked around on this forum for sometime and finally registered so this is my first post
Thanks, John.

First, welcome aboard!
You may be OK with the lighter bullets- I have built a few for 140's generally run close to 2.9 OAL to the rifling.
What is the "base" (receiver) for the build? DBM or internal mag?
There are often (as in the case with M700/clone actions) extended length mag boxes that will eek out more if needed.

Best to make up what we call a "dummy" round (no primer/powder) with the bullet you intend to shoot, seated to the depth you prefer. Measure your OAL- then see if it works with your 2.715 mag, or if you need to look into extended mag options.

If the OAL can be made to work with your selected mag- then it's simple enough for the smith to determine if there's adequate freebore with the SAAMI spec reamer- or if he will need to throat it a bit longer. For a hunting rifle, there's not going to be high round count and throat erosion to consider like you'd need to for a target application.

I'm going to use a Ruger 77 tang safety sa so I believe my magazine is set. And as you mentioned, when I can round up some components, I will assemble a dummy round and see what I get. I hope to do this with a 120 gr. Nosler.

Thanks, John.

.130 will work fine with 120-130 bullets.
.199 saami on the creed is a little long in my opinion especially for anything under 140' class bullets.

Ok thanks for all replies and Merry Christmas. So does anyone know of a smith that has a 6.5 CM reamer with about a .130 free bore?

Thanks, John.