Help with scope options for 30-06 under $500ish??

codyadams

So I'm helping my friend get set up for long range, he is new to it and doesn't want to dump a grand or more into a scope just yet. His rifle is a factory Howa 30-06 with a bedding and trigger job, current load is a 180 Nosler ballistic tip going 2810 and shooting a respectable 1/2 - 3/4 MOA. We may work on this, I'm looking at the 178 ELD-X and a few of the Berger options, but that's a different subject...

We are wanting to stretch this rifle out as much as we can, it has the ballistics to reach on out, but here in Wyoming, we got lots of wide open spaces...but I don't think 800 is out of the question for this gun with decent optics.

So far, these are some of my thoughts for a scope around $500 or so

Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 (when on sale at cabelas it's under 500)

Nikon Prostaff 7 5-25x50

There are a few other Nikon options, but this is just some initial thoughts. We are going to be dialing, not so much using holdover, so repeatability and proper tracking is important, and were not too picky on the reticle. He is going to use this gun in the timber for hunting as well, so a strait 10x or something such as the SWFA or bushnell would not be a good option.

So what do you guys think? Are there any other good options out there that I'm missing? Thanks for your time and replies, I appreciate it.

Nice choices, but I would shorten the list by getting rid of ...

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44

Nikon Prostaff 7 5-25x50

... but that's just me (boils down to personal choice).

Your probably right...

I have hunted elk and deer in timber from when I was 12, my first rifle had a Redfield strait 6x, and I have a viper 6.5-20, and never have had problems timber hunting with it, but I have come to find that I'm one of very few people I know of that does not have issues with finding moving animals in a higher magnification scope. I do recall him saying he has had problems with this, so 4x on the low end would probably be good.

Thanks for pointing that out...

Your probably right...

I have hunted elk and deer in timber from when I was 12, my first rifle had a Redfield strait 6x, and I have a viper 6.5-20, and never have had problems timber hunting with it, but I have come to find that I'm one of very few people I know of that does not have issues with finding moving animals in a higher magnification scope. I do recall him saying he has had problems with this, so 4x on the low end would probably be good.

Thanks for pointing that out...

I have a 6.5-25 scope and didn't have problem timber hunting with it before either but as I get older, my eye sight is telling me differently nowadays. 4X works for me at the moment.

Cheers!

SWFA would be direction I would go.

On occasion you will find used a 3-15 SS for around $500.
Which brings up a good point, keep checking the optics for sale section here and snipershide. If you aren't concerned with matching turrets and reticles, zero stops and such then good older scopes pop up from time to time (even newer ones).
Here is an example: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/fs-ft-sightron-siiiss-3-5-10x44-lrmd-cm-525-a-168183/
Another example; there is a 4-16 Monarch X in my local paper for $300.

Id go with a Nikon. 7x-25 ya dont need cause 7X is too much for timber shooting and he doesnt have the gun for a 1000 yard shot so 25X is a tad too much. Ive got a couple here that are 4.5 x 14 and will go as far as my 280 will shoot!

I have a backup rifle that is plenty capable on elk out to about 700 yards, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on optics... but I still wanted to be able to dial for a longer shot if the opportunity came up. I went with a Vortex HS 4-16x44 with the standard duplex reticle. The turrets are capped and it tracks awesome. All around it's a perfect scope for the application. When I bought mine about 6 weeks ago it was on sale for somewhere around $375. Those Vortex Vipers are perfect when you want just enough scope to have the needed performance, but not spend a ton of $.

Or if you (or he) is (or was) military, get ahold of Vortex or Bushnell for a pretty good discount.

Or if you (or he) is (or was) military, get ahold of Vortex or Bushnell for a pretty good discount.

I'm law enforcement, so Vortex treats me pretty well. I'm thinking Vortex HS-T 4-16 is the route we're going to go for this rifle...unless something better pops up in the classifieds

I have a Nikon Monarch 3 5-20X44. The glass is better than the other Nikon. I spent an hour on the 'net and pick up one for $470. It is good in low light and not bad on my optics chart.

Take a look at the Weaver Super Slams...I have a 3x15 that will do what you want...I used to have the Vortex HS 4x16 and in my opinion the Weaver is a far better scope..

Just my opinion for what it is worth..Keep doing research. ;)

I have a Super Slam as well and have been nothing but impressed with it, the 2-10's are going for around $250 at Natchezss.

I would drop the PROSTAFF 7 5-20 and take a look at the PROSTAFF 7 4-14x50 BDC scope. It is currently under a promo right now so you can save $100. That isn't why I picked it though,4 is low enough magnification for accurate 50 yard shots and I have taken the 16X to 800 yards with enough accuracy to drop a TX whitetail. Dialing in your rifle,scope and ammo with Nikon's Spot On Program will also boost your confidence and accuracy. Side parallax adjustment is important for those longrange shots and if you want to dial in your bullet you can easily unscrew the caps and do it. You also have the option to order a Custom Turret set to your exact shooting data so that you just turn the elevation turret to the desired distance. I have one on my .257 Wby and love it, Coyotes hate it!
Drop me a note with any question's.

DSC_0894.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.