Help with model 98 Mauser?

hazer

I haven't owned a model 98 Mauser before so I'm new at this. Could use some advice. When I close the bolt on my 284 Mauser the bolt catches on the follower( I guess that's what it's called) . Can I file or grind the front edge of it so the bolt will pass. My smith said that's a common issue with them there is a cut out in the stock to push it down and close the bolt, but I don't want to shoot it like that. Any suggestions?

What you are encountering was a failsafe design by the military to warn a soldier that his weapon was empty so he wouldn't falsely believe he had chambered a round in combat, you may be able to file the 90 degree edge at a 45 degree angle to correct that, allowing the bolt to slide over it, sometimes the follower is to hard for a file, A bench grinder or belt sander will get the job done quickly, or you can replace it with a commercial follower, new followers and spring used to be common and only a few bucks not sure what the going rate is these days, If you have other rifles I would suggest trying a swap and see how it works, the notch on the left side of the receiver is the thumb notch which allows the operator to use what is called a stripper clip, one could load the entire magazine in in step quickly.

Attachments

• s-l300-1877177089.jpg
    s-l300-1877177089.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 440px-K98kclip.jpg
    440px-K98kclip.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 19
What you are experiencing is the extractor is hitting the rim of the cartridge making it very difficult or at least very hard to close the bolt. The Mauser 98's and also the small rings feed system is called a CRF or controlled round feed system. YOU MUST PLACE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE MAGAZINE, So the bolt can pick up the cartridge as it goes by and slides up the extractor and into the bolt face. Forcing it will break the extractor.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question, Yes as Bret said, you can bevel the follower to allow the bolt to close on the empty magazine without pushing it down. Here is a pic with the bevel.
1703621916279.png

Last edited:
I haven't owned a model 98 Mauser before so I'm new at this. Could use some advice. When I close the bolt on my 284 Mauser the bolt catches on the follower( I guess that's what it's called) . Can I file or grind the front edge of it so the bolt will pass. My smith said that's a common issue with them there is a cut out in the stock to push it down and close the bolt, but I don't want to shoot it like that. Any suggestions?
Yes you can cut/grind a "ramp" into the magazine follower so that the bolt face will slide up and over the follower after firing the last round from the magazine. If you take a look at a Browning Safari rifle from the 1960-70's you will see how they sporterized that classic M 98 receiver and updated it for hunting.

I love them, and have chambered from 25-06 to .458 Win Mag with them. I'm hoping the people at Trigger Tech offer a Large Ring Mauser trigger soon, as I've fallen in love with those and that's my only want in my rebuilt Mausers.