Help with custom smokestick

Ed-WI

I'm trying to get a good target competion package for my kids & kids in 4H club to use at competitions. Events include bullseye & silhouette out to around 110-125 yards. Will need peep & aperture and must shoot patch & ball. Also, they can only use about 60 grains max. How good are the TC Hawkens?
I can put the package together or purchase complete, depending on cost.
Any recommendations RoT, charges, etc?
Any stuff out here for sale?
Personally, I would like to screw around putting a package together, but I doubt that would be the most economical way to go...
Ed

hi ed, your best rifle for the money is a great plains 50cal 1/60 twist. there great round ball shooters once there broke in . i have built several custom rifles and the parts can be 500.00 plus with 400hrs or more of labor. i have a 50 cal great plains that shoots one hole at 50yds. the custom rifles i put together dont shoot a lot better. good luck my friend and keep your powder dry. ps. shooting a muzzle loader is alot like life,you only get one shot at it.

Thanks Jim.
Could I get the load specifics that you used?
Ball Ø, patch, lube, etc?
Ed

hey ed,in my 50 cal. great plains its a 15thou.patch with .490 hornaday ball ,borebutter lube made by t/c. for hunting i use 95 g. of goex ff, for target shooting i use 50 gr.of 3fff .i have found they give the same impact point at 75 yds. every rifle has a mind of its own .one other thing that helps with accuacy is a buffer between your powder charge and your lubed patch .i use 2, ox yoke buffers or several layers of waspt nest materal. spend some time shooting and trying different things . powder charge, patch thickness round ball .490 or .495 good luck my friend and keep your powder dry. hunting with a smoke pole is just like life you only get one shot at it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.