Custom muzzy

dirtytough

I apply for hunts in lots of states. Some states there are almost no rules for their muzzy hunts and others are strict. I drive a lot for work and my mind starts wandering. I was thinking I would like to build a custom muzzy.

I would want it to be a switch barrel so I could use a .45 or .50 cal projectile. And it would need to be able to use percussion caps and 209's.

If I could use something like a bighorn action that I could swap the barrel myself depending on the hunt.

I was thinking 2 breech plugs. 1 for percussion caps and another for 209's that would thread into either barrel.

And not sure if I could use the same bolt or not.

For the guys familiar with custom muzzy's and different ignition systems, am I out in left field? Or is this something that is possible and worth pursuing?

You can't use the same bolt for both. The firing pin is different for caps and primers. I modified a Remington 209 gun with a hammer to be able to run either but most can't do that.

I'm building a 45 cal gun on a single shot Remington 700 SS with a Brux barrel. I will build my own breach plug and use a different designed brass module then currently available. I have CNC machines so I can make all my own parts.

For that application you could use a CF large shank Savage action and get a .45 cal Brux barrel bolt nose and breech plug from Arrowhead Sporting goods. This has been a DYI for quite a few guys. Get yourself an action wrench and barrel vise to set proper headspace and swap out with a .50 cal Brux if you choose. The bolt nose /breech plugs are available for 209 primer and lrmp module , the only hang up would be the percussion cap request. I don't know of anyone using them in a modern muzzleloader application.
The above mentioned recommendation would be a true 300 + yrd performer.

Thanks for the replies. IdahoCTD want to build 2? :)

Idaho and Nevada both require percussion caps. I would want one that I could use in both those states, but also take advantage of New Mexico's and Utah's liberal muzzy laws.

Not sure the difference in the Knight rifles but I know you can get conversion kits to shoot 209's or percussion caps. Do the conversion kits come with a new bolt also?

Any suggestions on a gunsmith that could possibly build what I am talking about? Even if it takes multiple bolts I would like to get something built.

I have several percussion cap rifles for hunting here already. I want mine for other states. Essentially a firing pin for caps has to be the diameter of the cap or larger while the firing pin for primers is about .075". That is why you'd need 2 bolts, or at a minimum, 2 bolt heads if you used a Savage. I have a idea on how you might be able to use one bolt but I'd have to build it and test it. The other problem with the states that require caps is many require the cap to be open to the elements. Not exactly easy to do unless you want to mill a big window in the side of a new action and then their interpretation of that might be different then ours. With a breach plug the amount of pressure on the bolt lugs is minimal and I doubt it would cause issues to mill a small window in it but never the less it's another issue to deal with.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.