Help with bullet choice for 7 mm STW

Blacktail

I have a STW a guy built for me 26" Shilen Mpi Stock etc. I am pretty new to loading and after some help from folks here got 72.5 gr of H4831 to shoot 140 accubonds at about 3250 fps and hold under .5". Was happy until it blew up on a whitetail running away from me at 150 yards. The bullet hit the left hind quarter and never even reached or broke the bone. Since then tried the TSX in 140 and with the same powder 3/4" up to 75 gr of powder and 3350 fps. I now hear the bullet maybe too hard and not opening up enough. I got the gun for antelope, coues and long range mulies. I am now thinking bout using the accubonds on lopes and coues and blacktails and the tsx on mulies. Any suggestions? Maybe the mrx, berger or even an A-Frame. The gun does not like Nosler Part. Thanks

My first choice would be the 160 Accubond.

Personally, I like the heavier bullets.

I assume he put a 9 twist barrel on it?

If your rifle does not like the Nosler bullets, you may want to try these:

168 Berger
180 Berger
162 Hornady A-Max
175 SMK

I'll make it unanimous the 160 AB !!

My luck with the 140gr bullets was vary mixed ,the nozler partition
worked up close but not past 300 yrd's , The Barns X,s did not work
at any distance. And the blistic tip only worked well at 500+ yrds.

The 160 AB will work at all reasonable distances and so will other
bonded core bullets.

The SMK's will work at extreme distance where velocities are around
1800 ft/sec or lower.

The 160 AB is what I use in the 7mm RUM.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

I have had good results with 150gr. Scirroco and 76gr RL22. I have not heard much about this bullet, but it has performed well for me in two different cartridges. What is the general opinion of the Scirroco?

Hope this helps and look forward to any comments on this bullet,

Hank

What kind of velocities are you guys getting with the 160 accubond? And powder choicesand charges? I have been contemplating 140s for the lighter stuff and the 160's on big mulies as well.

Last edited:
one of my hunting loads for my STW is 94 gr of WC872 behind a 160 accubond at 3340 fps. work up to it in warmer climates.
RR

I have no experience with the 7 rum but have shot the 7rm a lot.- the 160 accubond is the best overall bullet i have found.

The scirocco 150 has great terminal ballistics but it is (in my gun) not so accurate and penetrates far less than the accubond.

I´d say the 162 a max is too soft if a shot at shorter ranges is the case.

No experience with the 175 SMk or 180 berger.

"a 160 accubond at 3340 fps" I'd be careful about attempting this velocity with the 160gr. It would be way over in my rifle. I have talked to other STW shooters who can get 3,500+ with a 140gr bullet but I wonder what pressure those loads generate. I'm sure they are "wondering" too. These loads may work for some shooters but I'd suggest looking for a more modest velocity.

Personally, I had very good results with accuracy and terminal performance of the 162gr A-Max at 3,200 ft/sec in my Sendero with a 26" Hart barrel. They do an exceptional job on chest shots, which is where I normally shoot. A Texas heart shot, which impacts the rear hip, would be a challenge for all but the most stoutly constructed bullets.

V H

Where I come from a Texas heart shot is in that little
bulls eye between both hind quarters with the game
going straight away from the hunter.

It's a little tough to hit but it does give you a spot to
aim at. "Ha, Ha", and not recomended with any bullet.

"Thats just not right"
J E CUSTOM

V H

What is the range you are shooting your 7 mm stw 300,400 ,600 Yards ?

I enjoy reading your post about the STW .

I would like to pick your brain on more info about the 7 mm Stw?

Redbone

Me too! JE Custom also posts some very good info on the 7 STW. I wish VH and JE Custom would collaborate on a post titled "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About the 7STW."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.