Help with a vortex spotting scope

matt_3479

Looking at getting my first spotting scope. With the purchase of my first house just happening I imagine my budget being pulled back a bit. Would like to purchase my first spotting scope by April for shooting season to give me some time to save. I'm focused on vortex due to the fact I get an amazing discount on there products.

this spotting scopes main use will be for around home, driving around checking fields for whitetail and deer. Window mount. Ranges aren't too long, 1000 yards is absolute tops around me (southern Ontario). Depends on size and weight it might come with moose hunting annually which then will be put to use over large clear cuts, tops of ridges scouting, and back lakes extending the range to 2000 yards roughly.

i want nice and clear glass, reasonably relatively light weight, and solid. I think I'm leaning towards the razor HD 11-33x50 but would like to hear if the viper is good enough or if the added range of the 27-60x85 is necessary. The price jump from the 11-33 to the 27-60 is a big step up and so is weight. The 22-48 is another option but just don't know what power is best used when I've never owned a spotting scope. Is angled or straight more preferred?

Last edited:
Don't own a Vortex spotting scope, but from reviews I've read most seem to feel the upgrade from the Viper to Razor is worth it.
I have straight and angled spotting scopes of other brands. The straight is much better IMO, especially with a window mount!
If used mostly for driving around spotting deer in the fields at 1k the x50 would probably be fine and it's weight/size would be better when hiking the ridges. And 2k though it would probable be lacking some. Everything is a bit of trade off.

Looking at getting my first spotting scope. With the purchase of my first house just happening I imagine my budget being pulled back a bit. Would like to purchase my first spotting scope by April for shooting season to give me some time to save. I'm focused on vortex due to the fact I get an amazing discount on there products.

this spotting scopes main use will be for around home, driving around checking fields for whitetail and deer. Window mount. Ranges aren't too long, 1000 yards is absolute tops around me (southern Ontario). Depends on size and weight it might come with moose hunting annually which then will be put to use over large clear cuts, tops of ridges scouting, and back lakes extending the range to 2000 yards roughly.

i want nice and clear glass, reasonably relatively light weight, and solid. I think I'm leaning towards the razor HD 11-33x50 but would like to hear if the viper is good enough or if the added range of the 27-60x85 is necessary. The price jump from the 11-33 to the 27-60 is a big step up and so is weight. The 22-48 is another option but just don't know what power is best used when I've never owned a spotting scope. Is angled or straight more preferred?
You can find quality used razor hd 22-48X65's in a lot of different forum's/sites. I just picked one up, hardly used, for below $800.00. I got the angled mount and with the turret being able to swivel I have no problems being comfortable when it is mounted to my truck window.

I have the 65mm objective Razor HD and I have been very happy with it. For me that is about the largest I like to attach to my backpack. I have found myself wishing for for the 11-33 for often than not. It is just a bit smaller and handier to use out of a vehicle and for quick looking at game. Mine is the angled version and it makes it easier for people of various heights to look through it once I have it setup. I or the kids can all look through it where with the straight version I found it harder to look through when I had it set low for shorter folks to look through.

If you can go an try the 11-33 and the 22-48 out side by side. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I've been trying to find anyone that has both in stock and can't yet. But looking more and more I think the 22-48x65 might be better. Most of the spotting I can do from tripod and with the swivel on the body I believe it should do be doable from a vehicle! I just don't want to get the 11-33 and wish I had more power. Most of our hiking/packing isn't nearly what you western boys go through. Northern Ontario is tight and thick normally. So getting from place to place is by vehicle or off road vehicle (quad or boat) then short hikes 1km or less normally. And then it's set up and hangout. I'd be definitely swaying more 11-33 if hikes were more so what I did on my elk hunt ranging from 3-14 miles a day with an average or 5-7.

Based on that application I would be inclined to get the 22-48 as well.

I ordered a phoneskope as well and that has been really nice to take good photos or video throughout the spotter

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.