help with spotting scopes

I have a Leupold Mark IV 12-40 spotter with reticle that I like very much. It has very good eye relief, compact design, rugged, lightweight, and good image quality up to 30 power. Image degrades significantly past 30 power but I am often shooting at long range with heavy mirage. I got a good deal on mine for $1300 new. They make the Golden Ring that is closer to your budget, similar scope but no reticle.

Not trying to be rude my friend but a MK4 spotter (M151) is the last one I would recommend if they want better glass. Don't get me wrong, if you want an extremely tough scope it's the first one on my list. I had one several years back on a deployment to Iraq that it seemed at least once a week somebody would ask to look through it...and then drop it! It was ever ran over by a 16,000lb tactical vehicle in gravel and it just got a couple cosmetic scratches an lived through a large IED that destroyed my HMMWV. The FFP reticle is nice for calling corrections (direct or indirect fire) but ranging with a spotter isn't that easy. Easier to do with the rifle scope's reticle. I have 6 of the signed out to me. For observation purposes, we would rather use the M144 spotters (B&L 15-45x60). It's glass is quite a bit better at higher magnification. My personal hunting spotter is a Nikon XL II and it has better glass as well. These two cost a substantial amount less then the Leupold!
I can't recommend which one to buy, I'm looking to upgrade as well after my rifle project is finished. I can give some advise on what I do have a lot of experience with.

I recently purchased a 80mm Leupold Kenai (OP on sale) with 20 x 60 eyepiece and 30x wide angle eyepiece, very clear optics even at high magnification. To heavy to carry all day so I also got a cheap (150$) plastic lens scope to put in the backpack. Cost of both is within your budget.

I am pretty much in the same boat, looking for a spotting scope which will go out to 500 meters maybe a little more.

I strongly suggest you look thru these things before you buy one because they can be like night and day.

If you can visit a birding store that sells quality scopes this is your best bet. I have one about an hour away from me and I visited them last week and will again this week.

Seems to me the Nikon ED82 purchased from one of the big camera stores in NYC is my current choice. Very good optics (zoom eyepiece) and a 25 year "NO Fault" warranty where they will fix or replace the scope no matter what happens to it for 10 bucks plus shipping. Nikon does this on a lot of their scopes. I use my stuff and I don't doubt some klutz walking by my bench will accidentally kick the tripod. This is too heavy as a carry scope.

By all means look at anything you can get your hands on, visit shoots and ask to look thru scopes. In all fairness some of the upper end scopes to me are disappointing (of course some are phenomenal). And not all of them are all that easy to use.

600 yards is a long way off so take your time making a choice or you will be disappointed. And you might have to save up a few more bucks, that is what I am doing, facts are facts, good optics cost the bucks.

I just want to add to my above post.

To use a field scope to look for game at 600+ yards is one thing but to look for little holes in paper is something else. I think there are a number of fine scopes for hunting that can be had for not a lot of money but to look at little holes in paper is entirely different.

Please keep us posted what you find.

Not trying to be rude my friend but a MK4 spotter (M151) is the last one I would recommend if they want better glass. Don't get me wrong, if you want an extremely tough scope it's the first one on my list. I had one several years back on a deployment to Iraq that it seemed at least once a week somebody would ask to look through it...and then drop it! It was ever ran over by a 16,000lb tactical vehicle in gravel and it just got a couple cosmetic scratches an lived through a large IED that destroyed my HMMWV. The FFP reticle is nice for calling corrections (direct or indirect fire) but ranging with a spotter isn't that easy. Easier to do with the rifle scope's reticle. I have 6 of the signed out to me. For observation purposes, we would rather use the M144 spotters (B&L 15-45x60). It's glass is quite a bit better at higher magnification. My personal hunting spotter is a Nikon XL II and it has better glass as well. These two cost a substantial amount less then the Leupold!
I can't recommend which one to buy, I'm looking to upgrade as well after my rifle project is finished. I can give some advise on what I do have a lot of experience with.

I should have stated that I only shoot paper to 100 yards. However, I shoot steel frequently out to 1000+ and find the quality acceptable for that purpose. My spotting scope is also mounted on a very solid Gitzo tripod. Compared to my Zeiss Hensoldt rifle scopes (3-12 and 4-16) or my Swarovski binos (7x42) the image quality is not as impressive. I would classify it as "good" up to 30 power. It is also a manageable size for actually carrying it with you while hunting rugged terrain. The 12 power magnification is also very useable for a quick look without a tripod while braced against a tree or rock.

No offense taken and thank you for your service.

Tomorrow AM when I get home from work, on the advice from jeff 300, I'm going to look into the Kowa spotter that he purchased and call Bear Basin. I want to ask them their recommendation regarding fixed vs. zoom eyepieces esp. since I wear glasses. This spotter will for now primarily be used at the range.

Thanks for all your help thus far. I would have most likely made a mistaken purchase already if not for you guys.

Bill

Well, I had to do a reality check money-wise. I just don't have the cash right now for the Kowa jeff 300 recommended plus a decent tripod, so I had to sacle back to what I was originally considering. I ended up getting a Pentax PX-65ED with 20-60x zoom eyepiece package for (I hope I'm allowed to say this Mods) $639. With a new tripod, I kept everything under a grand.

For now, it's just paper punching out to 600 yds max. Hopefully in a few years, I'll be able to shoot some pdogs.

Again, thanks for all of your input. I'll have plenty more questions as I get into this stuff more.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for posting. Took a good look at the Nikon again today and it really did not impress me for the coin involved. My search continues. I will find the Pentax to look thru.

Please let us know if you are happy.

Zeiss makes a scope similar to that. Maybe you can find one to look thru. The Zeiss is selling for 1200 the last time I checked.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.