help with 162gr ELD-X

rbong15

good morning,
I have a stock REM 700 7mm mag and I was wanting to see if any of you have had some luck reloading for this round.... just looking for a good starting point with powder.... I have rutumbo and IMR7828sc.... if I could use either of these great if not I will get my hands on what ever to get a load going.

thank you

also.... I'm not looking to shoot 1000 yards just need to have a confident round for 500-600 yards tops would be just fine.

I'm running Retumbo behind a 162 gr eld-x in my Sako 7mmRM.

I'm getting 3008 mv with .5 MOA groups at 300 yds, if I do my part.

good morning,
I have a stock REM 700 7mm mag and I was wanting to see if any of you have had some luck reloading for this round.... just looking for a good starting point with powder.... I have rutumbo and IMR7828sc.... if I could use either of these great if not I will get my hands on what ever to get a load going.

thank you
You will want to find out what seating depth is best for your rifle with these bullets first. I run ELD-X's in 3 different calibers, and they all like something different. Some like jump, others not so much. Read the thread 2 above this one on getting the most out of Berger VLD bullets and do the seating depth protocol Berger recommends--it works very well with these bullets. It will save you a bunch of time. If you have a chronograph, you might want to look up the 6.5 Guys website and read/watch the video on the "10 round load development". I have a Magnetto Speed and have found this to be a very efficient and quick way to do load development.

Doug

Was just at the range Saturday morning. I have a Savage Long Range Hunter 7mmRemMag I just purchased this spring and working up loads for Wyoming hunt this fall. I am running 69.8gr H1000 with the 162gr ELD-X. They like to jump! About .070" jump and I am getting 0.3-05MOA groups at 100 yds. 3080fps.

Was just at the range Saturday morning. I have a Savage Long Range Hunter 7mmRemMag I just purchased this spring and working up loads for Wyoming hunt this fall. I am running 69.8gr H1000 with the 162gr ELD-X. They like to jump! About .070" jump and I am getting 0.3-05MOA groups at 100 yds. 3080fps.
I

I am running h1000 with a similar load. I am running around 3063.

good morning,

thank you
I have used both with 168s. 7828 seems to be the most accurate, but Retumbo will be more consistent over major changes in temperature. I am currently using RL-26 with the 168s in a custom 7 mag and it works great, except in 85*+ temps, it spikes pressure somewhat.

Tikka T3 lite 7mm Rem, h1000 70.0gr, fed 215 primers, Hornady brass, 2960 fps
Single digit SD, groups very well all the way out to 1000yrds, no pressure signs could probably push it more to find the next node but it's my cousin's gun so I didn't want to burn his barrel life up chasing a load before he even got to shoot it...

Orch

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.