Help upgrading binoculars

Gene D.

I hunt in Arizona and Colorado, and now have a pair of Leupold Mojave 10x42. I am not going to be able to sneak a pair of $2000 binoculars into the garage but maybe $1000. I have heard very good things about the Pentax 10x43 ED. Any help would be appreciated.

Gene,
I do not have any experience with the Pentax. But in your price range I'd check out the Steiner Predators. I own a pair and they are excellent glass. I have zero complaints. Used them all over the country.

Stick with the big 3, Leica, Swarovski, Ziess and use a tripod. You can find an older model or used model on line in that price range. When glassing for hours there is just no compromise, you do not want eye strain (hence the tripod). I have tried many brands over the years but alway go back to Swarovski and Leica.

I hunt in Arizona and Colorado, and now have a pair of Leupold Mojave 10x42. I am not going to be able to sneak a pair of $2000 binoculars into the garage but maybe $1000. I have heard very good things about the Pentax 10x43 ED. Any help would be appreciated.
my advice is to wait for a used pair of Swaro EL's to show up for 1100-1500 or so, and then buy them. paying a premium for NIB will not get you the best glass for the same money

The Meopta B1 12x50 are very close to Swarovski EL's at a much lower price. Meopta make the Nightforce spotting scope if that is an indication of quality. The also made the Cabela's Euro Instinct line of binoculars for a few years;

The Meopta B1 12x50 are very close to Swarovski EL's at a much lower price. Meopta make the Nightforce spotting scope if that is an indication of quality. The also made the Cabela's Euro Instinct line of binoculars for a few years;

I am a big fan of Meopta and I have their R1 and R2 scopes as well as quite a bit of their meopro line, which is an underrated great value. they are very nice and I would certainly take any meopta for the right price. That being said, no Meopta binoculars are in the same tier as Swaro EL's, and their rifle scopes are equivelent to older Kahles helia or Swaro habicht glass. In other words, it's very good, but it's not top tier new Swaro good. Of course they can also be compared directly to the old, original zeiss conquest line - because they made them for zeiss.

Last edited: