HELP - Talley rings or Picatinny rail ?

norcalnoodler

HI everyone,

Well I've taken all your great information and appreciate the answers for all my rookie questions and with it I have purchased a NULA rifle in 7mm Rem Mag.
It's a model 28 and gorgeous - the previous owner has been shooting 1' - 5 shot groups at 200yrs. Exactly what I was looking for in a 6 pound mountain gun.

So my dilemma is that the gun comes with Talley 1" rings

I picked up a used Viper Vortex 2.5-10x44 with 30mm tube - This scope also came with a set of the Vortex precision matched rings that mount to a picatinny rail - these go for $130 for the rings themselves

Do you guys recommend installing a Talley picatinny rail which they make for this gun or just swapping out to the regular Talley rings ? The rails and rings seem much more beefy but there are more screws to fail and it weights a couple ounces more.

Your thoughts are appreciated

P.S. -- could someone please explain the 0 MOA and 20 MOA options for the bases

Thanks again,
Toby

Nula? That's some pretty fancy stuff. Congrats on your new acquisition.
I'd go for a carefully bedded picatinny rail to afford me the option of making future changes in action top equipment if I decided to do that.
The Picatinny moa options simply allow for preferred centering of your optics over long ranges. Trying to get 20 or 30 moa out of a scope will take its center focus out to the edge of some lenses and things can tend to get a bit fuzzy out there when compared to the center of the lense. A "moa rail" allows the shooter to start off with an increase in elevation so he doesn't have to put so much adjustment into the scope.
I use a 20 moa rail for my Zeiss Conquest 6.5 - 20x50 to stay closer to center focus out at 1000 yards where I'm putting in 28 moa for center mass.

Nula, Ula, Melvin Forbes - pretty fancy but I was ready to get myself a gun that was a fine shooter and one that I would be proud to own for a long long time. And also in the a fantastically versatile round for north america.

Carefully bedded picatinny rail ? Is this something I can do myself ? Never heard of it before
Any recommended tutorials ?

So since this is a 500 or 600 yard max gun I would want to go with the standard MOA rail, Correct ?

Thanks a!!!

1. Carefully bedded picatinny rail ? Is this something I can do myself ? Never heard of it before
Any recommended tutorials ?

2. So since this is a 500 or 600 yard max gun I would want to go with the standard MOA rail, Correct ?

Thanks a!!!

1. Yes:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6RopWI0-GE"]Gunsmithing Bedding A Scope Rail On a Remington 700 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Yes

I also have to recommend the Picatinny rail option. The interface between your scope & your rifle is very important, this is a place where I will not sacrifice rigidity for weight. I'm not saying the Talley's won't work because they have a great reputation however, I personally feel the pic rail setup will offer more strength. YMMV.

For a 500-600yd max range, the 0moa should be just fine but, the 20moa won't hurt especially if you decide to strech the legs of that 7mm.

Bases, just as most things in life follow the same path; you get what you pay for. I advise you don't scrimp on price. Choose a high quality vendor & bite the bullet.

t

The purpose of the 20 moa rail is to put elevation adjustment back into your scope. With your 7 mag and wanting to shoot 600 yards you wont need a picatinny rail. Also from your scope selection I dont think you will be dialing for elevation so again no need for the picatinny rail. All the rail is going to do for you is raise your scope height which means you would then need to get a stock pack or something else to raise your cheek rest, you may need one anyway. Go with the talley, you dont need the rail.

If the purpose is to have a light weight gun, then I would stay with the one piece Talley rings. In addition, there is less mechanical attachments than the the other method of attachment. Hence, minimizing the risk of movement.

I have no compalints with the Talley one piece mounts and have them on all of my guns.

I used Weaver Picatinny rails until I discovered Tally one piece rings/bases. Think of it this way: one piece screwed on top of another with a third piece screwed down to the second and a forth put through the third piece and screwed to it. Lots of connections that have to hold tight and play together well.

The Tally's are a single unit attached permanently to the top of the rifle action and the scope clamped down to that. Simple and elegant and VERY strong. Say what you will the Talley is as strong as any setup I have ever mounted and I do tons of scopes for my friends.

Here is the quick sequence I use:

p_00493.jpg

The aluminum tube is drilled to allow the mount screws to be tightened while the tube hold the rings in alignment. Red Loctite between the mount/action, blue Loctite on the screws.

p_00494.jpg

After 24 hours cure time another aluminum tube is used to lap the rings into perfect alignment with valve grinding compound. I have a selection of remnants from Metals Supermarket that vary a few thousandths in diameter. I pick a piece that is at or 0.001" under the scope diameter. Scopes are not exactly 1", 30mm etc. They vary in diameter. The Vortex mounted on this Tikka 7mm RM was 0.998"

p_00495.jpg

If you look closely at the front ring you will notice a very slight black smudge on the fore edge. That is the remaining black finish from lapping the rings. Even with all the care aligning the rings to screw them down the machining tolerances stack up to miss-align the rings ever so slightly. But the lapping cuts everything straight and the scope will now clamp to the rings without torqueing or bending the scope tube at all.

This is as strong a scope mount as is possible. A 20MOA or even 40MOA Picatinny rail is a must for long range work but for 600 yards or slightly more it isn't needed- especially for the 7mm RM! Rails have their place for shure but I am all in on the Tally's. Too bad Tally doesn't make them in 20 MOA....

I apologize for the poor picture quality.

KB

A 20 MOA rail is not needed. Truthfully, most decent LR scopes will get a 7RM to 1000 without any additional elevation. The Talleys are lightweight, simple, and will work perfectly in that setup. Go with the Talleys again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.