HELP!!! Stock Salvageable or Upgrade?

Zen Archery

Is this 1983 Savage stock salvageable or does it need to be replaced?

I've been having slight accuracy issue with my dad's 30.06. Apparently when my deceased father worked on this last he didn't use a torque wrench and ate right through the wood of the rear trigger mount. Is this fixable with wood glue or some other compound material? I'd like to keep if possible? But also want a usable rifle.

IMG_1622_zps9ib7xmbw.jpg

IMG_1621_zps4y0mnrnj.jpg

I fixed one by drilling it out to a larger size on a press and then gluing in a piece of an oak dowel. You have to then redrill the hole for the screw, but it works great. Make sure the dowel is a tight fit, and use the glue only as "insurance."

That rear screw only secures the back of the trigger guard, so it it very fixable. Lot's of options. Could use wood putty/filler etc. Pack the hole. Let it dry well. then drill small hole and secure with a wood screw. Could also mix wood glue with lots of very small wood shavings and pack the hole with that.

Post a pic of the rifle for us after the fix. Would love to see it.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts