Help Resizing

I used 2oz (half of an 4oz bottle)of lanolin to 16oz of 99% isopropyl......probably to high of a ratio, but it's fast and easy....make sure you use a high % of isopropyl , means less water in it. You might have to ask for the 99% at the pharmacist's window, I've heard they don't display it, but don't know....I order online.......rsbhunter
I believe the best you can do is 95% as that is the low boiling point azeotropic mixture. Ok, it is possible I'm thinking of Ethenol.

I used to use a "special" mix called white lightning, but it must expand brass.....after about 4 or 5 applications, I couldn't get the case in the shell holder....after 9-10 applications, I couldn't find the press......don't know how it would have worked if I had put it on the cases ???? rsbhunter

I used to use a "special" mix called white lightning, but it must expand brass.....after about 4 or 5 applications, I couldn't get the case in the shell holder....after 9-10 applications, I couldn't find the press......don't know how it would have worked if I had put it on the cases ???? rsbhunter
Just don't drive to the range after your applications ;)

No, that was just for fun...that was in my young and foolish days....then reality settled in with kids and responsibility........rsbhunter

Where can you get that rack ?

It's not the Army one, and doesn't hold as much brass, but Creedmoor makes a nice one:

I have these great polymer loading blocks from Sinclair

and have been using those, but can see why these narrower, longer racks would work better with spray lube.

Last edited:
It's not the Army one, and doesn't hold as much brass, but Creedmoor makes a nice one:

I have these great polymer loading blocks from Sinclair

and have been using those, but can see why these narrower, longer racks would work better with spray lube.
Thanks. I thought the cartridge rack pictured appeared made of aluminum and would be useful for drying cases in the oven. But now I see that Creedmoor makes a case drying rack that has fans, and so does Frankford Arsenal, ( that one looks like a repurposed food dehydrator). So I won't be drying cases in the oven anymore. I have many , many Sinclair Loading Blocks and have a pair of the Sinclair long narrow Lube Blocks. So you all inadvertently clued me in that with the addition of a Cartridge Dryer, I'm good.
Thanks Again.

I was really looking forward to some feedback form the OP. He looks to have bailed out 2 pages ago. Hopefully it worked out for him.
I was away from home turkey hunting, but I will post an update once I get the stuff and try polishing the die. I also don't have any more fired brass to size right now, it was just a small batch to start out with

I've had that happen with both my 6.5-284 (Norma brass) and my 6.5 x 47 (Lapua Brass). The down stroke on the press feels "grainy" and stiff. I could never figure out why, even after cleaning the brass, die and using Imperial resizing wax. The common denominator - Redding Type S FL sizing dies. I guess it's time for a call to Redding. I guess it's possible that some dies got through QC without a final honing or ID polishing. That's all I can think of. I have another set of Type S FL dies for my .204 and they never did that.

I'm FL sizing some 300 rum brass for a friend, Norma brass once fired, using a Redding type S match bushing FL die and using hornady one shot spray lube. Cases were harder than normal to resize, and now they look like this. What's my problem here?View attachment 183773

Totally agree with you the call to the company. You have some really good, detailed photos, Redding ought to be able to help out with the problem. As for the Hornady One-Shot being the problem, I switched over to the One-Shot a couple of years ago and will never go back to the RCBS lube. I reload fire formed .270 Winchester brass into .270 Ackley Improved, as well as 30-06, .308 Winchester, .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen and 45-70 all using One-Shot; I don't think that the problem is the lube. And......lube is cheap, it wouldn't hurt to try a different brand, but again, I don't think it's the lube. I'm also curious if the brass is actually "once-fired" brass? When I find brass that looks like that in the photos, it's usually because it's been reloaded a number of times. And.....annealing the brass wouldn't hurt either. What type of cleaning method are you using, and how did the brass look after cleaning??

Totally agree with you the call to the company. You have some really good, detailed photos, Redding ought to be able to help out with the problem. As for the Hornady One-Shot being the problem, I switched over to the One-Shot a couple of years ago and will never go back to the RCBS lube. I reload fire formed .270 Winchester brass into .270 Ackley Improved, as well as 30-06, .308 Winchester, .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen and 45-70 all using One-Shot; I don't think that the problem is the lube. And......lube is cheap, it wouldn't hurt to try a different brand, but again, I don't think it's the lube. I'm also curious if the brass is actually "once-fired" brass? When I find brass that looks like that in the photos, it's usually because it's been reloaded a number of times. And.....annealing the brass wouldn't hurt either. What type of cleaning method are you using, and how did the brass look after cleaning??
I have always wondered how many times brass was " Once Fired ".

I'm FL sizing some 300 rum brass for a friend, Norma brass once fired, using a Redding type S match bushing FL die and using hornady one shot spray lube. Cases were harder than normal to resize, and now they look like this. What's my problem here?View attachment 183773
I have seen that look before, in my case, the culprit was a way over size chamber diameter. I like one shot myself, but when I had this going on, it did not cut it.
I don't have time to type my remedy, it did not include polishing the die, those marks will tumble out easy.

Just had a thought while looking at the picture of the 300 RUM brass. In what rifle are these used ? If you are having trouble sizing , was there any trouble feeding through the rifle ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.