Help Please .......

dave1

I have redding dies in 223 remington, I am trying to load the 50 grain hornady v-max, case is cut to the trim to length witch is 1.750.
The hornady book says to seat the 50 grn at 2.200 . I have my seater bottomed out and I cant get 2.200.
Now multiple bullets have the same measurement(2.200), so I will have an issue with more then the v-max.
I reload a few different calibers , I have Decent reloading equipment. Anyone know what the problem is? I say its the die? Am I missing something? The gun is a single shot .
Dave

Do you know that you need 2.200?
How would your source know?

That's not unusually deep or anything, but I wonder if you really need it there.
If you do, you could get another die, or a thinner shellholder(or machined shell holder).

When I first get a gun or newly finished barrel, I measure max OAL(bullet into rifling). Then I load with the bullets seated .005" deeper into the case as a starting point.
If I cannot reach a max(the rifling) as is the case with many factory guns, I seat the bullet bearing 1.5cals as a starting point. .224x1.5=.336
I use bushings for neck sizing 1cal of the neck.

With my present 223(a Cooper), and 50 Blitzkings, best accuracy has been 1.800" to Ogv, or ~2.225 OAL. My initial Jam length(max) was 1.802"
That was 408 rounds ago and so far it's holding.

Last edited:
I have redding dies in 223 remington, I am trying to load the 50 grain hornady v-max, case is cut to the trim to length witch is 1.750.
The hornady book says to seat the 50 grn at 2.200 . I have my seater bottomed out and I cant get 2.200.
Now multiple bullets have the same measurement(2.200), so I will have an issue with more then the v-max.
I reload a few different calibers , I have Decent reloading equipment. Anyone know what the problem is? I say its the die? Am I missing something? The gun is a single shot .
Dave
Dave,
Why do you have to seat to book specs?
I would be finding the maximum OAL for that bullet, and seat .010"-.015" off the lands to start with.
I have found that most book specs for seating depth are quite a ways off, normally you can seat much further out than book specs, and the load will be more accurate.
You might find that you can seat well out past 2.260" with most 50gr 22cal bullets.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

the source is the newest hornady book. I know about seating specificly to your gun. how do i do it on a ne.f. single shot?

I need somewhere to start . What do other people do when loading the hornady 50 v-max

That places the die body high in the press frame. Is the seating stem adjusted fully downward in the die?

yeah its screwed in all the way..it seems like this type of seater wont seat certain types of bullets.

double check your die body adjustment . maybe your lock ring slipped. if it is to high it will cause this . raise a brass case to top of stroke . turn die body down until it just touches brass case . then raise die body up 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn . then set bullet seating depth . I 'd say it's worth a try . Jim

Jim,
Yeah we tried that pretty much first. I need to find someone with redding 223 dies. I would like to ask them a few things.
Im wondering how someone else who maybe followed the hornady book got it seated to what the book states.
If I used a case longer then 1.750 I would get the adjustment. But the book says trim length is 1.750 and thats what My cases are, You would think I should be able to load exactly what the book says. I mean if I cut some cases at like 1.755 I probably could get the 2.200 oal listed.

Dave , 1) if the die is set up correctly using a longer brass case you will get the same oal you will just be seating the bullet deeper into the brass case .2) if you cut your brass longer , you will need to raise the die body higher . now you are right back to not seating the bullet deep enough .
it sounds to me like you need to get the die body adjusted down more , but not far enough to crimp .
this is what winchester69 is getting at too . Jim

The die is correctly setup. the seater is screwed down into the die all the way . I ran out of adjustment.
I have some pictures but I have to send them in email.

did you have the die apart and maybe loose a spacer or something ? I'm not sure what dies your using . another thought , is this a new die ? have you used it before with correct results ? is it marked with the correct cartridge , 223 ?
I don't remember of ever being close to running out of adjustment on the seating stem before . man this is just strange . Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.