Help picking spotting scope

snox801

As stayed looking for a spotting scope. So I have geovids and other good glass. Now I have a few I'm looking at but wanting some advice. I like high end stuff but not sure how much I'll even be using them as it's getting harder to get away to hunt. Plus I also tend to get close enough while hunting trophys. So I'm debating if I need to pony up and spend big coin or just get a vortex or Nikon. I know it sounds bad but I've had many people recommend the redfield. I've been behind the scopes and they are decent but not sure on the spotter. All glass looks good in the store. What are some recommendations.

the pentax pf ed2 has a lot of good reviews I read one where they said with a fixed wide angle eye piece the 65 ed2 was real close to a Swarovski , and they are also considered a compact I think they are within an inch in length difference of the razor 11-33x50

Last edited:
I would check out the Kowa spotting scopes. I have the 66mm and 88mm Kowa spotters and they are great. I sold a Swarovski and replaced it with the 88mm Kowa and have no regrets. The 66mm is also great and packs very easily.

When you get up to the high end stuff at a certain point looking through premium glass is difficult to tell which is sharper. I have the Nikon 25X75X82 fieldscope with ed glass, my brothers each have the high end Kowa, and Swaroski and to my eyes the difference in sharpness, brightness and clarity is not discernible . They both bought theirs with the angle eye pieces and mine is straight. Funny thing is that they both use mine when were hunting and glassing over an area in a ravine or canyon because you can look down without exposing yourself, and when we are shooting long distance I basically use their spotting scope because it is angled and easier to use from a prone or sitting position. Basically glass wise get whatever rings your bell but also consider what accessories the scope has that will afford you the most use out of it.

When hiking the mountains I find that my compact Leupold gold 15X30X50 is getting the most use because it is light weight and at great glass for under $500

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.