Help on .308 reloading

JayCee49

Hello All,

After reading the very interesting and informative thread "One Powder to rule them all (30.06)", I thought I'd take advantage of the collective wisdom of this site and pose the following enquiry:

At the young age of 70 I have just acquired my first hunting rifle, a new Mauser M 18 in .308 Win. Just fired it yesterday for the first time with some military rounds to start breaking it in.

Where I am from there is very limited availability of reloading components and I have available (some friends actually) the following powders:
-W 748
-Varget
-IMR 4064
-IMR 4320
and some IMR 3031 (not a lot).

And the following bullets:
- 50 each of Nosler Partition Sptzer in 165gr
-100 each of Hornady Interlock 150 gr SP
-100 each of Sierra Tipped GameKing Gamechanger in 165 gr

I trust the knowledgeable members of the board will come up with proper combinations for fallow dear, wild boar and red stag, which is what we have around here as far as big game is concerned.

Thanks in advance for your contributions,

JC

I also use Varget in the .308, but I mainly shoot the 168 smk. Sierra will usually post accuracy loads for there bullets. That has always worked as a good starting point for me. Just make sure you start below and work your way up on powder charge

Your powder selection is fine. Unless your shooting extreme long range a 150 gr bullet will take the biggest deer there is. Bullets for deer we use are 120 gr for 6.5, 130 for 270 & 140 for 7mm. Have been taking mature mule deer for ever with the above listed bullets. Some here use the Barnes 130 gr TSX in a 30 cal for deer & elk. I'm only 74 so still learning.

Can't argue with any of the advice already posted. I would have fun trying different things. I would probably start with the Sierra bullets and 4064.

Have fun.
Capture.JPG

I load a shoot two 308. Imr4064 for me with 150gr accubond
On soft skinned game I like the 150s over the 165s but both are proven performers

The hogdon max loads for 150s are very high and I don't recommend. 45grs plus is a very full case. I top out at 44gr with a 150 and have great results

Yes,,, faster rate powders work good in the mid size cases,,, that's not saying that 4064 or Varget wouldn't work in the 30/06's and related cartridges,,, but each brand of powder has its happy zone...

I'm 308 Varget across the board since I have ruffly 30 to 33 lbs left over.

I need to put in another order so I don't run out,,, I see a big city Montana trip coming up. Ha...

Yes,,, load up a spread of charges from 0.3 or 0.5 gr,,, Three or Five of each,,, set your target at distance to find out which one you and your rifle likes,,, I know one thing after this weekend...

My middle age body does not like maxed out 180gr 30/06 loads. Ha... The rifle is ok with them,,, Me the shooter is not...

Good luck finding what works,,, that's deffinatly party of the good times...

Pal Frozen North Don

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.