Help needed. Virgin 300WM brass measurements?

entoptics

Just installed a new barrel, and went to shoot it today. Brass sticks in chamber so bad, primary extraction is damaging the rims, and a rod is needed to drive them out.

I used once fired brass (Sig) from a previous barrel, and though it chambers OK, after firing it sticks.

Before I buy new brass, and/or call (call out?) the manufacturer, I'm hoping someone can measure the diameter of some virgin 300 Win Mag brass right above the belt (flush to perhaps 0.2" forward), so I can gauge whether that will mitigate the issue.

To head off discussion of "causes" I've already discounted...

1) Loads were not hot. I started at 5 grains below book max, primers looked peachy, and velocities were in the ballpark compared to previous data from the first firing of this brass in the last barrel (Shilen). 73 grains of H1000 behind a 208 ELDM produced 2850 fps (26" bbl) and case was still stuck as tight as a duck's butt. This Sig brass is stout, so definitely needs less powder like ADG. For comparison, 79 gr of the same lot of H1000 was my go to in the Shilen in MAI (Norma) brass, which drove a 208 at about 2860 in a 24".

2) I've loaded for six very different 300 Win Mag barrels; a 1960s era Winchester 670, 3 x Savage OEM, and a Shilen Match Select. All were fine digesting each other's fired brass, as long as base to shoulder was adjusted as needed by FL sizing to the appropriate BTS for that barrel.

3) Brass was full length sized, and sizing marks went all the way to within a tenth of an inch of the belt, so I don't think any amount of full length sizing is gonna get me where I need without ramming the shoulder back way too far. Base to shoulder on the 3 fired and stuck pieces is actually 0.001" longer than what came out of the Shilen, so more FL sizing is not an option unless I want head separations...

4) I've never needed the Larry Willis die in >5000 rounds of 300WM, 7 RM, and 264WM, and am not about to go that route to solve something that shouldn't need solving...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the chamber is tighter than it should be back near the belt, based on the scuff marks, though if you have theories beyond what's mentioned above, let me hear em.

I'd really appreciate it if someone(s) with some virgin brass could measure the diameter in front of the belt, so I can predict if just getting some virgin brass will solve the issue. Of course, even if that works, I'm not tickled about losing access to several hundred pieces of brass with a few firings left in them, but $150 worth of brass is better than disassembling the rifle and sending the barrel back to the manufacturer.

I'll be buying Peterson Long or ADG, so data from that would be ideal, but I figure any brand will give me an idea.

Thanks in advance.

@Sixgun17 Much appreciated!

All of my belted brass (300WM, 7RM, 264WM) with >4 firings is giving me the same value of 0.513-0.5135 with caliper flush to the belt. (Take that 0.0005 with a grain of salt).

Since the bolt closes on sized brass that size, perhaps with a hint of resistance, I'm guessing my new chamber must be right there, or perhaps a smidge under that.

3 further questions...

1) What would "A hint of resistance" suggest for chamber size? 0.001 under? More?

2) If the brass went in at 0.513, but was jammed tight on firing, would that also help determine how undersized I am?

3) From my very basic understanding, one needs at least 4 or 5 thousandths clearance at the 200 line, or clickers and hard extraction can start to occur after a few firings (e.g. "The PRC Problem"). So is there any way to determine if I'm in this "danger zone" that doesn't involve casting the chamber and/or buying new brass, firing it, and measuring?

Looking to avoid breaking her down and returning to manufacturer only to be told "it's fine", or conversely, investing in a bunch of brass, only to find out I'll be screwed down the line when it's too late to have the manufacturer fix it.

Your brass is large for the chamber, most likely at the web just in front of the belt. It just fits, then when you fire it it sticks in the chamber.
Many do not understand that the brass adjacent to the web/belt is solid, it does not size down unless you get the collet die.
I have never had this occur, but know of others who have.
I never use brass from one barrel to another. I have 5 300WM barrels, none use the same brass. I have 3 264WM rifles, none use the same brass.
Due to the web, different expansion can and does take place, chamber design, case support and even rifle design influences all of this. Winchester's conical chamber can also cause issue with certain brass.

Cheers.

3) From my very basic understanding, one needs at least 4 or 5 thousandths clearance at the 200 line
This doesn't apply to a belted mag, what does apply is the measurement just forward of the belt, .513" is maximum, regardless of the reamer print or chamber type. Winchester coned breach can mean that a case is not fully supported just beyond the belt, but not in all guns, which is weird.

Cheers.

I have had the Larry Willis collet die for a while but have yet to use it.

Larry Willis Collet resizing die 1.jpg

Larry Willis Collet sizing die 2.jpg

I do, however, have used the gauge feature of the die.

Your brass is large for the chamber, most likely at the web just in front of the belt. It just fits, then when you fire it it sticks in the chamber.
Many do not understand that the brass adjacent to the web/belt is solid, it does not size down unless you get the collet die.
I have never had this occur, but know of others who have.
I never use brass from one barrel to another. I have 5 300WM barrels, none use the same brass. I have 3 264WM rifles, none use the same brass.
Due to the web, different expansion can and does take place, chamber design, case support and even rifle design influences all of this. Winchester's conical chamber can also cause issue with certain brass.

Cheers.
X1,000^^^^^^^

May want to try some new brass. Looks like your brass is already expanded to max and though it fits, you now have the same thing that causes the prc clicker issue.

You are trying to use brass from fat chamber rifle(s) (.513+) in your new rifle that has a standard Sammi Chamber (.512-) No go. Get some new brass and fireform

Is this military once fired brass? Or is the previous barrel military?

Last edited: