Help me with a rebarrel

jfswanson12

I'm considering re barreling one of my 300wm's. It shoots very well but I think it may be towards the end of its barrel life. Here's a run down with what's in the safe when it comes to custom LR rigs. 6 creed, 2 6.5 prcs, 2 300wm's, 300wsm, 300nmi, 338 prc, 338 lap imp.

So I've got a descent variety. Both my 300wms hammer the 215's. But the one may or may not be towards the end of life barrel wise. Most of my rigs are 26" setups except for the 6.5 prcs at 24" and the 300wsm is a shorty (for me) at 20" ( Bart carbon, xlr folder etc).

I built the 300wsm to shoot the 185 juggs and suppressed. Mainly for my old man and a 800 and in rig. Good light ish backpack rig that should do everything he needs.

Now I'm thinking I might want to try the suppressed thing for certain hunts. (When we would both be packing rifles) So has me thinking about another shorty. Maybe that 300wm would be a good donor. It's set up well enough for what I'm after. Ag composite, TT special, 700 clone, currently proof carbon etc.

So I'm thinking a 20 or 22 inch carbon would get me what I want. Now what to chamber it in? I would still like to shoot the 215's or a like. It needs to fit inside a 3.7 mag box and obviously shorter so you're not banging tips. My 215 load at .035 off in saami chamber has no issues at around 3.62 oal. This 700 clone with the mechanical ejector doesn't easily allow for a longer Wyatt's box. My proofs aren't super fast so I'm running them around 2840 outa these 26"ers

Do I go with another 300wm? And hope for a little faster barrel that doesn't pressure so quickly? Saami chamber should still keep me where I need for oal. 300 prc? But will have issues with oal? 30 nosler? Another 300wsm? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Looks like you need a nice 7.
Haha Im just not a 7 guy. Have had a couple. Just are kinda a no man's land for me. I chase a lot of elk and mule deer. Mixed with bears and everything else. But for me I won't hunt elk with anything less then 30 cals and that's my major love. So majority of my builds revolve around that or being able to make those trips. My 6.5 prc's and 6 creed will cover anything less if I don't feel the need for a 30 cal. But for ranges and country we chase most animals in a 30 isn't all that overkill. I just know a 7 would be a safe queen for me. I would take it deer etc hunting but I would still be without a second short suppressed elk rig. We tend to hunt big open country and could obviously run one on a different rifle but a 26 with a 6" or more can sounds like a pain no matter what

I would look at a Bartlein CF. Not as light as a Proof, but I have loved all mine (×6) so far.
I am running a suppressed 26" .300PRC w. 215s @ 3019fps w. H1000. N570 gets another 50fps. A 22" should get up around 2900 I would think.

I also considered selling this one and building a fresh one. To mirror my other shorty. For someone who just shoots on occasion it will probably last a long time. It really only has probably 600 down the tube and hasn't been hot rod's But this rifle has now become my primary steel one and will see a lot of rounds this year if I don't spin on a new barrel.

I would look at a Bartlein CF. Not as light as a Proof, but I have loved all mine (×6) so far.
I am running a suppressed 26" .300PRC w. 215s @ 3019fps w. H1000. N570 gets another 50fps. A 22" should get up around 2900 I would think.
I put 2 barltein cf's on a couple builds this year and 3 benchmark carbons as well. They've all been great. I won't be going back to proof. I considered offing this rig after seeing some of the deals today. I built 3 on nanook and have become a huge fan and there's a smoking deal on them right now… then drop it in a folder chassis and be done. No reason to worry about oal and build whatever magnum faced 30 I want.

Of all the mag 30's I have had I have circled back to the 30 nos. You can run it like a 300 prc and brass last forever or step on it if you want. No sizing issues at all in the two chambers I have had. In a shorter barreled rig you could pretty much match 300 wm numbers if you wanted to run it suppressed. Brass has been easy to find and many times you can find it on sale. Just don't go with a sammi reamer find a smith that has one with enough freebore you can mag feed it but a 215 isn't buried in the case.

I had to run a 300 prc at about max to still not tap the velocity the nos will run in easy mode. The current barrel I'm on now has been hands down the most accurate 30 cal mag I have ever owned (benchmark carbon). The first one was a Bartlein carbon and it's an absolute dog in velocity. Like I can run a 300 wsm as fast as it is. But not the chambers fault just a real slow barrel the Benchmark was chambered with the same reamer.

Of all the mag 30's I have had I have circled back to the 30 nos. You can run it like a 300 prc and brass last forever or step on it if you want. No sizing issues at all in the two chambers I have had. In a shorter barreled rig you could pretty much match 300 wm numbers if you wanted to run it suppressed. Brass has been easy to find and many times you can find it on sale. Just don't go with a sammi reamer find a smith that has one with enough freebore you can mag feed it but a 215 isn't buried in the case.

I had to run a 300 prc at about max to still not tap the velocity the nos will run in easy mode. The current barrel I'm on now has been hands down the most accurate 30 cal mag I have ever owned (benchmark carbon). The first one was a Bartlein carbon and it's an absolute dog in velocity. Like I can run a 300 wsm as fast as it is. But not the chambers fault just a real slow barrel the Benchmark was chambered with the same reamer.
Everyone I talk to that has a 30 nos throated where it should be mimics what your saying. I'm kinda leaning that way. I like the 300prc as I would actually own a rifle that I may not have to load for if I was lazy. But being able to keep descent velocity in a shorter platform would be nice. I don't really care but what were you seeing for barrel life in the nos

The first one is still in action I just built a new rifle on the second one. So I haven't finished a barrel off yet to really know. I would put money down that it's a few rounds less then a 300 prc and and few more then a 300 Norma though. The barrel life complaints early on were guys using N570 and then blaming the cartridge which is laughable.

The first one is still in action I just built a new rifle on the second one. So I haven't finished a barrel off yet to really know. I would put money down that it's a few rounds less then a 300 prc and and few more then a 300 Norma though. The barrel life complaints early on were guys using N570 and then blaming the cartridge which is laughable.
Absolutely. How you treat and feed them has a huge factor. Thanks

For a bigger 30 caliber wanting to run 215's, look at the heavier Apex offerings. I forget the exact weight, 187 gr? Plus one other that's heavier. These all copper bullets are supposed to have basically the same BC as the 215 Berger, and you'd get more velocity out of the shorter barrel with a lighter bullet.

Recent Posts