Help me pick a brake!

Crowe284

So, I'm in the process of having a 7saum built. The barrel is a Proof carbon, Sendero contour that will finish at 26". Every other rifle I own has a vais on it. Although I love the vais, shooting prone is pain in the a** with the radial blast. Done with them.

I am wanting a side ported brake or side and top ported brake. I have done a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that their are a couple of really popular brake going right now. The APA Gen II Little B* and the Muscle brake line.

The Gen II Little B* seems to be the most popular....I think everything looks great except for the big integral nut on the back that will obviously be a larger OD then the finished OD at muzzle....I could get over that though depending on what I hear here and from both companies when I call. Have also looked at the Holland brakes as well. I'm wanting to keep the brake +/- 2" as the barrel will already be 26".

Another question, can you have a brake like the Gen II Little B* brake installed on a barrel BEFORE your smith chambers and threads barrel or does all this need to be timed together?

Thanks in advance,

Crowe

you'll probably get a lot of suggestions on what brake to buy . I have 2 of the muzzle brakes and more brakes , and I like them . Nathan is an easy guy to buy from . I have one of his older designs with top holes on a 300 wby . I replaced a radial brake because of it blowing dirt and being hard to shoot . I also have one of his beast brakes on my 338 Lapua . it also replaced a radial brake because of the blowing dirt . he has a few videos on his website comparing his brakes to others .

Home Page

300 wby

338 lapua

I still have one radial brake . this rifle shoots so good though , I hate to change anything on it .

In my experience, side port breaks invariably develop timing issues. Assuming, of course, that you do remove them for brake and/or muzzle cleaning.

I have several and they all have timing issues despite the fact that I only install them hand tight. My Vais never gives me a problem. :D

In my experience, side port breaks invariably develop timing issues. Assuming, of course, that you do remove them for brake and/or muzzle cleaning.

I have several and they all have timing issues despite the fact that I only install them hand tight. My Vais never gives me a problem. :D

How important do you guys think it is to remove brake when cleaning? On my GAP built 6.5 4S, the microbrake was installed so tight I am afraid to mess something up if I try to remove. Ken at GAP told me to use a couple of punches that fit the holes and twist it off...I'm afraid to!!! With that said, I've never taken it off when cleaning and the gun still shoots bug holes and will hold 1/2 minute at 1k with 2-2.5" of vertical.

The smith that is going to put my build together makes his own side and top ported brakes. I asked if they were removable and he said it would be difficult as they are turned to blend at muzzle and then everything is Cerekoted together...which in my case with the proof barrel will just be the stainless tip on muzzle and brake. I asked him if it was a big deal not ever removing brake and he said he had never experienced any accuracy issues with leaving the brake on all the time....

How important do you guys think it is to remove brake when cleaning? On my GAP built 6.5 4S, the microbrake was installed so tight I am afraid to mess something up if I try to remove. Ken at GAP told me to use a couple of punches that fit the holes and twist it off...I'm afraid to!!! With that said, I've never taken it off when cleaning and the gun still shoots bug holes and will hold 1/2 minute at 1k with 2-2.5" of vertical.

The smith that is going to put my build together makes his own side and top ported brakes. I asked if they were removable and he said it would be difficult as they are turned to blend at muzzle and then everything is Cerekoted together...which in my case with the proof barrel will just be the stainless tip on muzzle and brake. I asked him if it was a big deal not ever removing brake and he said he had never experienced any accuracy issues with leaving the brake on all the time....

I never have the need to remove any of my MBs as I can clean them without removing.

I use the PVA Mad Scientist. If I were you I'd give this a serious look. We shoot 6.5 Saum and a lot of 6mms. They just don't move and the big thing is that it's not unpleasant to shoot next to or spot for. To me that's a big deal.

I use the PVA Mad Scientist. If I were you I'd give this a serious look. We shoot 6.5 Saum and a lot of 6mms. They just don't move and the big thing is that it's not unpleasant to shoot next to or spot for. To me that's a big deal.

Tell me more about this brake. Why does it take two 15/16" wrenches to install?

How does it time without any machining, shims etc., to be able to use on different rifles and still get ports lines up properly?

Looks like a badass brake...would it work on sendero contour proof? The 26" finishes .914 at muzzle.

Thanks!

So Josh at PVA designed and makes them all hisself. I highly recommend reaching out to him on Facebook messenger for clarity and any questions u have. So the reason for the 2 15/16 is for the timing. One on the top of the break and another on the bolt that screws and locks the break to the barrel. Pretty cool. I have all mine installed on medium Palma barrels and one ar10 med/hybrid contour. I believe it will work on ur contour because I believe my med palmas are all .891 at the muzzle. The big thing for me is they don't get obnoxious with noise and blowing crap back at people. It's the only one I've found that doesn't do that. He only cuts them at 7.62mm but don't let that deter you!!! These things get the job done!!!!

So Josh at PVA designed and makes them all hisself. I highly recommend reaching out to him on Facebook messenger for clarity and any questions u have. So the reason for the 2 15/16 is for the timing. One on the top of the break and another on the bolt that screws and locks the break to the barrel. Pretty cool. I have all mine installed on medium Palma barrels and one ar10 med/hybrid contour. I believe it will work on ur contour because I believe my med palmas are all .891 at the muzzle. The big thing for me is they don't get obnoxious with noise and blowing crap back at people. It's the only one I've found that doesn't do that. He only cuts them at 7.62mm but don't let that deter you!!! These things get the job done!!!!

I get it now, so it's a two piece type brake, that makes sense now.. I'm sure there are torque specs for instillation so you don't create tight spot in barrel...probably not an exact number but I'm sure he gives general recommendations for the brake. So he cuts them at 7.62 mm specifically for 7mm bullets right? That would be perfect as my build is a 7saum. And you are using the same 7.62mm opening on your 6.5's and 6's right? That's is attractive to be able to use on multiple rigs....

I get it now, so it's a two piece type brake, that makes sense now.. I'm sure there are torque specs for instillation so you don't create tight spot in barrel...probably not an exact number but I'm sure he gives general recommendations for the brake. So he cuts them at 7.62 mm specifically for 7mm bullets right? That would be perfect as my build is a 7saum. And you are using the same 7.62mm opening on your 6.5's and 6's right? That's is attractive to be able to use on multiple rigs....
Josh is quite exact. The torque is 70 inch lbs I think not sure. It's been a bit since I asked him. Yea the bolt reverse threads against the barrel and times the brake to where you want it. No he cuts them for all calibers 30 cal and lower. People use them with 22s including myself. A 22-250 and 223 wylde. And there is quite a difference! It's quite unique. He says the impact of cutting it to make it smaller to be more effective for smaller calibers is next to negligible. So it's one size for all and it does amazing things. Yea he's done all the research and tested the hell outta it. All I know. Is it works better than the Hellfire.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts