Help me choose a new stock!

Sneekeehunter

Hey guys,
I've been lurking on LR forums here for some time and I've learned a lot of useful tips and tricks from your great forum.

I'm looking for some advice on making a stock purchase for my rifle. I've narrowed it down based upon my budget/skills.

My rifle: Remington M700 .300 RUM. 26 in standard contour barrel. The rifle shoots pretty well with the factory stock however I know the potential of this caliber and I want to take full advantage of it by developing its full potential.

I need help deciding between the Bell and Carlson Alaskan Ti stock or the BC Alaskan II stock.

I'm well aware of the difference in the stocks. I would like to save as much weight as possible however I also want to make sure that it's adequate for the magnum rifle and my expectations of accuracy.

I'm experience on bedding rifles and plan on bedding the rifle. If I purchase the TI stock I plan on bedding the full action. If I purchase the II stock then I will most likely only bed the recoil lug area.

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever weighted how much a full length bedding job adds to the rifle.

Will the BC Alaskan Ti stock with a full bedding job be as sturdy/accurate as the Alaskan II with just the recoil lug bedded and what do you expect the weight differences to be?

Price does matter somewhat. I can purchase the TI for $289 or I can purchase the II for $235. I'll happily pay more for the TI if I can keep the weight down to justify the purchase.

I'm guessing that the full length glass bedding will add 2-3 oz.

The Ti is reportedly 2-3 oz less than the II as a result of only having pillars installed.

So any suggestions or thoughts are welcome!

Help me build my gun!!

PS. My budget for my current modifications to the gun are $600. I will be purchasing and installing a new trigger, muzzle break and stock within this budget so please don't recommend some fancy edge McMillan stock that I can't afford!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.