Help me out with a Varmint load for the 6.5 (you know what)

YZ-80

So I'm gonna use my Wby Altitude (chambered in that most shameful of cartridges) to do some walking varminting this spring. So far it's been great for deer with a 130 Accubond and some RL-15. What's a good light bullet/powder combination to use for varminting? This is a 22" tube, 1:8 twist bbl.

Thanks!

I'm going to wring out the 120 ELDM for my 6.5 (YKW) But the 95 Vmax is down the line, gotta love that vmax!

The Hornady 143 ELDX or one of the Berger's should perform well as a varmint bullet! memtb
Thanks. I have some of them on hand, as I run them for deer in my 6.5 L. I tried 123 SSTs but they proved unacceptable.

We use 140 ELDs behind RL26 going 2860fps in my brother's 6.5 Creed. It blows big holes in ground hogs and is super accurate.

For prairie dogs out to 600yds+ I used 90 gr Speer TNTs in my 6.5 Grendel with excellent accuracy.
For Deer/Hogs I used 120 GMX to take a nice buck and a hog. Both one shot kills and awesome bullet penetration and outstanding accuracy.
But, it depends on what you after and your shooting ability in adverse shooting conditions. Remember bullet placement is the key.
SEMPER FIDELIS
Gonzo

I've used Berger hunting VLD's in several rifles for varmints. Very effective. Currently using 75 grain eld-m's in a 22-250. 700 yd marmots drop in their tracks and I still got enough expansion for good kills on 1100+ yard prairie dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.