help me build my 6.5x55 swedish

startrek1761d

I have a new respect for the 6.5x55 mauser, I want to build one for out to 600 deer hunting. Here is what I want.
A Remington 700 la or a Tikka LA
A Hart or Shilen 25" barrel
lighter than a Rem 5R barrel but heavier than a Rem standard barrel
will be used in a box stand so no bench rest type barrel
what am I missing? Or should I just buy a Cooper in 260 Remington?
I have killed deer out to 560 yards with this round but my 20.5 inch barrel kills my velocity.

I have a new respect for the 6.5x55 mauser, I want to build one for out to 600 deer hunting. Here is what I want.
I have killed deer out to 560 yards with this round but my 20.5 inch barrel kills my velocity.

The 6.5x55 is an excellent round, but if you already have reloading supplies and equipment for the .260 I would just stick with that or re-barrel your 20.5 inch rifle. The 6.5 Swede and .260 Remington are very similar in ballistics and you'd be better off going with a .260 because its in a short action. If you decide to go with a 6.5x55 custom, use a Remington action, and both Hart and Shilen Match barrels are superb barrels so either will work, a #5 contour should work because its in between the heavy 5R contour and standard contour. Also make sure to have good glass and good mounts. Good Luck!

I know there are probably some folks who will disagree with me on this, but I believe the only way a .260 Remington makes sense over a 6.5x55 is if you are trying to get Swede level performance in a short action. Otherwise, the Swede is the better cartridge. So, if you just want to skip the trouble and waiting involved in a build, then go ahead and get the Cooper.

Otherwise, go with whatever action you prefer as the base for your build. Your desired barrel length is just fine. For what you want, I recommend the Shilen #4 profile barrel. I have 6.5's in a Shilen #4 and a Krieger #4 and am very happy with them. I feel they represent a very good compromise. They are just heavy enough to sit steady in the hand or on a rest and just light enough to balance and carry well, IMO. I would emphasize the correct twist, however. The standard twist in most 6.5 barrels is 9 twist, which may be a bit marginal with VLD type bullets. My Swede wears a 9 twist barrel and shoots VLD's very well. That is not always the case for everyone, though. An 8 twist is much closer to the original spec for the Swede and is a safer bet.

I also strongly recommend that you use Lapua brass for your Swede. It is much less expensive than the same for 6.5-284 or .260 Remington. It will also be in proper spec vs domestic brass. It is good stuff and worth every penny.

Here is what I used to build my Swede:

Zastava Commercial 98' Mauser action

Shilen #4 Contour, 9 twist, 26" chrome moly barrel

Bell & Carlson Medalist Varmint synthethic stock w/full length aluminum bedding block

EGW picatinny style rail

Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 Mil-Dot scope w/Leupold QRW rings

Metal finished with matte black Gunkote

My rifle's best load is 48.2 grains of H4831 with Lapua brass and Berger 140 grain VLD's. With this load, it shoots consistently in the .3's and .4's @ 100 yards. I have been able to shoot well enough with it @ 600 yards to be able to consistently pulverize clay targets, even in fairly strong winds.

About the only drawback to the 6.5x55 is the lack of modern load data for it. Do your homework when working up a load and work up carefully from book starting loads. In comparison to the .260 Remington, the Swede tends to like slightly slower powders and has slightly greater case capacity.

Don't get me wrong, the Swede is a great shell. I'm confused to whether or not the O.P. already has a 6.5x55 or a .260 after rereading his post. If he's got reloading supplies and equipment for either cartridge I'd choose that one. Both are pretty much ballistic twins, just that a .260 is a short action and a 6.5 Swede a long action, other than that everything is about the same. There isn't much difference between a #4 contour and #5 contour just that a #5 is about .700 and a #4 is like .650. I said a #5 because its nearly in the middle compared to a standard barrel and a heavy 5R barrel. Also, I'd go with a 26" barrel like benchracer used, gives you that extra 1imch for those slower powders to work with. Other than that I think you're on the right track!

If you load the 6.5X55 Swede up to the same pressures as the 260 Rem the 6.5X55 will best the 260 a little. Most 6.5X55 data is for under 46000 CUP for the old small ring Mauser rifles. With the Swede barrel length is your friend. I have a sported 96 Swede Mauser with the original 29" barrel and with under 46000 CUP loads I still get 3000 fps with 120s and a touch over 2800 with 140s.

The long action will be best for the Swede so you can load that looooooooog bullet out and keep it out of the powder chamber. I would also suggest at least a 26" barrel in either the Shilen #4 or #5. I have a #6 on a Rem 700 in 25-06 that I really like for box stand deer hunting but you would not want to carry it around all day. As has been said get an 8" twist and have it throated for the heaviest/longest bullet you will use. The standard reamer for the 6.5X55 has way too long a throat for those 160 gr RN bullets.
If you want to step up the velocity just go to the 6.5-06 since you are using a long action.:D

I had my wife 700 rebarrel to 6.5x55 with 26 in brux barrel 44gr. H4350 129 sst will put 3 just under 1in at 300 yards. She took her Elk 2013 at 200 yards with 130 AB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.