Help me build a .270 WSM

RynoUT

Ok...So I want a .270WSM for a hunting rifle. My only requirement is that it must have a SYNTHETIC THUMBHOLE stock... I have a problem with my arm that makes a standard grip uncomfortable and a thumbhole fit like a glove, and I'm not interested in wood for this gun.
Lets hear your suggestions for a stock, barrel and action. And a rough cost estimate would be nice too. I'm not trying to break the bank, just build a good hunting rifle that will fit me comfortably. Let try and keep the $$$ reasonable...

Last edited:
RynoUT,

Welcome aboard. Its a fun place to be.

Why are ya hung upon a 'synthetic' stock?

You mention you want to "build" but don't mention action/barrel/scope etc or for hunting what kinds of stuff.

The 270 WSM will handle all kinds of game and if loaded to it's capabilities will reach out and touch some things.

Do some googling on synthetic thumbhole stocks and you'll quickly see what your options are and the costs.

I'd suggest purchasing a factory rifle with at least a 26" barrel, but a 24" will do, but I think 24" is a "settle for" option.

I also suppose I'd take a look at a Savage first then snoop around the Remingtons. By then you'll notice the price difference.

Also, don't forget to shop the "used" rack.

Let us know what you decide upon.

I have a savage 16fss 270 wsm and it has been a very good shooter. It has a standard magnum barrel. For long range I would like a bit longer and heavier barrel.

I would look into the savage 12fv with accutrigger and a stockade thumbhole stock. That would be a reasonably priced shooter.

I've shot the 140gr accubonds with very good success

I've looked at some of the Savages, but I don't like the 2 round magazine capacity in the WSM's.
I like the prices of the Stockade stocks a lot better than the others I've seen, so I'll keep them in mind.
The reason I want a synthetic stock is because I want an all weather rifle, that I won't feel bad about putting a few nicks in. Plus the weight of the synthetics is a bonus.
Thanks for the ideas...

I built mine on a Howa 300WSM action using a 26" Krieger #5 in a Boyds Laminate stock. Very accurate and kills pretty well with 140 Accubonds. Sometimes you can find the Weatherby Vanguards on sale at Walmart. The Howa is also available as a barreled action which saves a few dollars.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.