HELP! I need advice.

kc

One of my friends on Canada is planning to do some Wolf/Coyote hunting, he has a real good place to start, but he asked me if I can help him?
He would like a calling device that he can remotly use, having the device 300 yards out from where he is shooting.
Also a remotly operated control to turn on a flopping decoy.
the place he will be shooting has two land masses east/west and he has a large outcroping of boulders sticking out of a lake, he will have his back to the rocks.
I have no idea where to start, I just kill woodchucks.

kc,
Finding a caller and/or a motion decoy with a remote that works past 50 yards will be difficult, if not impossible. If there's one on the market, I'm not aware of it.

You'd be better off to be more selective of your locations for a set-up to call, than trying to be off in the distance. Perhaps your friend could enlighten you as to his stragedy, as to how he's already hunting them and go from there.

Just from coyote calling experiences, my weapon choices have changed to what I'm using today. My front or carry weapon is a shotgun with a tight choke restriction (for inside the 60 range) and sitting next to me on a tall bi-pod is a .25-06 that will drop anything that decides to hang up and not come in to the call/decoy. :cool:

I set my MOJO Critter decoy and electronic caller about 20 to 30 yards to a crosswind location from where I'm hiding. This way a circling coyote won't get downwind of me, before I can locate/shoot him. Also, having the decoy/caller away from my location, takes their eyes off of me and gives me a chance to take a shot without getting caught moving. gun)

Hope this helps!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Thanks Guy..He has a friend who tans hides for Moose and Caribou and flys out of Wawa Ont.
How much damage is there to the pelt.(with a 2506?) He promised me, if I come up this winter for the fishing dirby he would have a big Wolf hat like they have in Russia, it is great for people who fish in the winter a lot.

I bought a Flextone model ER1 electronic call this week. It has 100 preloaded game calls. You can choose between one or two speakers & can use it out to 300 yds. I set up about 150 yds away Saturday morning & things worked as they should. I didn't take the time to try any further away, as the wind was really blowing and I didn't know if I could hear it much farther away.
I called in two large coyotes right as the sun was coming up, but didn't get a shot. They were running along together & didn't slow down much.
I did waste a skunk though. gun)

Thank you Iam going to there websight, get with my old friend, I may need to order it
for him..its cheaper here and I use his camp.
Lots of Wallies, and big pike...If we cross H17 we can hunt the same area and catch Lake Trout.

Your best bet is a FoxPro. They are state of the art callers and have a jack to control a decoy. (The Prairie Blaster has the decoy as part of the unit and has tremendous volume---but also fairly expensive. FOXPRO Prairie Blaster lightbulb) I would not gaurantee 300 yards but line-of-sight the remotes have pretty good range. I would suggest a caller above the Spitfire for volume.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.