Help choosing a barrel length, contour and twist for a 300 Norma Magnum

If you stick with the 230 grain bergers and under the 1:9 will work great. Berger says 1:10 is fine.

But if you plan to ever shoot the 230 sierra then I would suggest 1:8.

I have question about Manners stock (with Kelbly Long Action), I should post a new tread?

Keep posting on this thread to keep all your information together in one place.

I see some people have a 1:8 twist instead of 1:9, I read that is faster for heavier bullet(200 and up) but if you want to shoot lighter bullet is better the 1:9 that's correct?

Twist rate calculation are based more on the length of a bullet as opposed to weight. Velocity and altitude play into the calculation but the basic idea is length. The longer the bullet, the faster the twist. Shorter bullets require less twist.

I have question about Manners stock (with Kelbly Long Action), I should post a new tread?

Well?

I just got another question:

I see some people have a 1:8 twist instead of 1:9, I read that is faster for heavier bullet(200 and up) but if you want to shoot lighter bullet is better the 1:9 that's correct?

I just found out that there's an association nearby that shoot up to 500m/800m monthly so I'll not stock to 300 range :)

If I were you I'd look at the heavy for caliber .338 bullets you might be shooting and see what twist recommendations they are making. To my thinking 1:8 is awfully fast for a bullet of that diameter and I'd expect 1:10 or 1:9 to be much more appropriate.

Last edited:
Thank you!! Doubt flies away.. I'm gonna stay with 1:9!

Sable tireur:

I was eager to know the answer I already open a new thread:

Was about ordering a Manners Prs1 stock and Kelbly long action!
Because Kelbly say that is the same of Remington 700 long action and in the Manners website do you have a lot of option for all custom action (Defiance,...) but nothing about Kelbly and I wanted to know if someone already put a Kelbly long action on a Manners without problem??

Someone in the other post told me that Kelbly is a bit different and I should say (to my UK supplier, because in Switzerland there're not) exactly what action I'm gonna mount!!

I had a bad experience on GRS stock and Savage!

Thank you!! Doubt flies away.. I'm gonna stay with 1:9!

Sable tireur:

I was eager to know the answer I already open a new thread:

Was about ordering a Manners Prs1 stock and Kelbly long action!
Because Kelbly say that is the same of Remington 700 long action and in the Manners website do you have a lot of option for all custom action (Defiance,...) but nothing about Kelbly and I wanted to know if someone already put a Kelbly long action on a Manners without problem??

Someone in the other post told me that Kelbly is a bit different and I should say (to my UK supplier, because in Switzerland there're not) exactly what action I'm gonna mount!!

I had a bad experience on GRS stock and Savage!

I have put a Kelbly on McMillian stock inletted for a Remington 700 and the only inletting that needed to be done was to accommodate the trigger hanger, side bolt release and side port.

Ryan Pierce builds a rifle every day it seems using the kelbly in a manners eh1. My build is getting cerakote right now, and the manners prs2 will be done next week I hope. Crux ti action, 26" 1:9 sendero, prs2 in elite swamps, hs dbm, triggertech special, ti 3 port brake. Will be around 7.5# before optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.