Hello From New Guy

Tatsnscoots

Hello from West Texas. My name is Doug and I am an avid target shooter and hunter. I have been reloading for about a year now and am currently consumed with all thing 6.5. I enjoy building MSR's mainly in 6.5 Grendel and recently acquired a Ruger Hawkeye Target in 6.5 PRC.

Welcome. Where in West Texas? What do you like to hunt?
I am currently living between Lubbock and Odessa in a small community. I enjoy coyote and hog hunting, as well as prairie dog shooting. Since moving to Texas from northern Colorado it's been an uphill battle to find places to hunt. There isn't any public land down here to speak of.

I hear ya! I move to Ft Worth from Michigan, and have had the same experience. I am on a lease in Oklahoma, but it is expensive, far, and has very strict rules regarding guests. I would love to prairie dog hunt some time. I have a few rifles set up to do it, but never have.

Welcome to the forum, you'll find some good reloading, shooting and hunting information on here. And a pretty good bunch of people who will share information and experiences; knowledge. And...............oftentimes you will find a great number of opinions on various topics:(;):rolleyes:

I hear ya! I move to Ft Worth from Michigan, and have had the same experience. I am on a lease in Oklahoma, but it is expensive, far, and has very strict rules regarding guests. I would love to prairie dog hunt some time. I have a few rifles set up to do it, but never have.
I used to hint prairie dogs out of my back yard in northern Colorado years back. They are a blast, but it's easy to burn up barrels quickly if you get into big colonies and that haven't been hunted, they don't spook, just look around in awe when the bullets start flying!

Welcome to the forum, you'll find some good reloading, shooting and hunting information on here. And a pretty good bunch of people who will share information and experiences; knowledge. And...............oftentimes you will find a great number of opinions on various topics:(;):rolleyes:
I see there are a lot of opinions, guess we all have them. Right, wrong or indifferent, thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately the public land is about 5 hours south of me and is over used as it is the only real public hunting land in the state that I know of.

I am currently living between Lubbock and Odessa in a small community. I enjoy coyote and hog hunting, as well as prairie dog shooting. Since moving to Texas from northern Colorado it's been an uphill battle to find places to hunt. There isn't any public land down here to speak of.
Welcome! I was raised in that area. Coyotes were about the only thing we could hunt, excepting quail and prairie chickens. West, near NM line, there are some big mulies now. Access is expensive, as is most land in TX. Texas Parks and Wildlife offers some great draw hunts on their site, for low prices, some near you. You'll like it here, good folks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.