Heavy hunting bullet for 10 twist, 26", 300RUM?

jmden

Heavy hunting bullet for 10 twist, 26\", 300RUM?

I apologize if this has been discussed. I did search and did not come up with the info I was looking for. Maybe someone that knows where it is can direct me? Thank you.

What is the heaviest, best BC hunting bullet that will stabilize and perform well on elk from 40 yds to 800 yds with 300RUM velocities? I'm tossing a 200AB at 3200 at the moment using US869 at 109g so it's going to need to be enough better to be worth my time and expense (short supply these days) to work up another load. I'd like to keep on using 869. I've have several pounds of Retumbo and RL25, but have been unimpressed at how quickly Retumbo pressures out with this weight bullet--3050 or so was the best I could get with 200AB and Retumbo.

I've heard mention of the 210WC--pics anyone? BC numbers on the 210WC? Will it stabilize in a 10 twist 300RUM? Any other heavier hunting bullets that will stabilize in a 10 twist at 300RUM velocities?

I'd really like to get Kirby's 300AX and toss some 265 WC or similar, but will have to wait a while for that...

Thanks for the help/replies!

Re: Heavy hunting bullet for 10 twist, 26\", 300RUM?

I should work for Barnes by now... 180g TSX 3400 fps for most people... It'll easily do the job.

If you're going to go with a 180gr bullet I would go with a Hornady 180gr Interbond. Terminal performance seems to be the same in my 30-378 and ballistics are better with the Hornady.
James

by jmden

I've have several pounds of Retumbo and RL25, but have been unimpressed at how quickly Retumbo pressures out with this weight bullet--3050 or so was the best I could get with 200AB and Retumbo.
I got 3250 with Retumbo and 200 AccuBond........
Nothing wrong with the load you have though.....
thumb.gif

I shot the 210g WC out of my 300 RUM. It was a factory LSS 1 in 10". It easily stabilized that bullet. I used 89.5g Of Retumbo for 3025fps. I came up with about the same BC as the Berger 210g, maybe a tad less...I could hit a 15" gong at 1150 yards with this bullet pretty regularly...I never got to shoot anythign with them as I traded the rifle off for my current 7 RM before hunting season... I wouldn't hesitate to use them on elk though from 50-1150yards..They held there weight a little better then the Berger VLD in my wet newspaper test, so should give similar characteristics on game as the VLD.

I always had worries of match bullets on elk as I hunt steep canyons and dont want elk going anywhere but straight down..I settled on the 200g AB at 3200fps and shot a few, all with excellent results out to 525 yards. Theres nothing wrong with your current 200g AB load...

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm pretty happy with my load but I'm thinking that I want to use the heaviest bullet, best BC I can.

What's the 'generally accepted' bc of the 210WC?

I think I've been told on this forum that the 240MK may not stabilize in a 10 twist, even at RUM velocities--my sierra bullet chart recommends 9 twist for it. I'd be comfortable with using that bullet due to its weight and SD. The 220MK is not that great of a performer from what I've heard in general so I don't think I want to try that. Are there any other selections in this weight range that might do what I want them to do?

One reason I'd like to use a heavier bullet is that from what I've been told here, US869 is likely more appropriate for a heavier bullet than the 200AB I'm using now. The load I have is working now, but I'm hoping I might get better consistency with US869 and a heavier bullet. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks all.

I was using about a .625 BC for the 210g WC out of my 300 RUM. It matched up out to 1150 yards anyways...

The Berger 210g VLD is right at about .645 which I've shot and tested as well to 1150 yards. It took about 1 MOA less adjustment for the 210g VLD vs. the 210g WC.

Either bullet is fine IMO. I dont think you can go wrong with either one. The VLD's are certainly a bit cheaper though, and there BC's are just as good, if not better then the same weight Wildcats...

I never did test the 240g SMK, so I cant help you there. I think a few guys here have shot them out of the factory 1 in10" twist though with no problems. I believe on the Lilja site, he says the 1 in 10" will stabilize the 240g, so I dunno, but probly pretty sure it would at RUM velocity.

remingtonman 25 06,

Thanks for your help. I'd love to shoot the 240MK over US869. I guess I just need to order a box and see what happens and hope I don't see bullet profiled "X's" on the paper like Kirby has showed us here lately experimenting with the new WC's and twist rates. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Somebody's got to do it! Thanks for the info from the edge of what's possible, Kirby. It's making all of us better shooters, I think.

Sure would like to here from anyone out there that's put 240MK's (or similar) down a 26", 10 twist pipe in a 300RUM!

What was the final consensus on the Nosler 300RUM brass? Might it allow a bit higher velocity safely that may stabilize the 240MK better?

It looks to me on my Sierra program that I would need to be able to get 3K fps out of the 240MK for this to be worthwhile to try in terms of energy, drop, etc. at the ranges I plan to shoot, so it would sure be nice to here form someone who's tried this or from someone else who's worked with these components enough otherwise to give me an educated guess. Thanks all!

Well I have to say, I really think sometimes we just over think this stuff. It sounds like you have things worked out for your gun and load. If you really want to think about it there are probably a 100 other things you could do that would have more impact on your hunting success than changing anything about your load. I shoot a 300RUM and have been using 180 grain AB at 3250. They shoot well and I am sure will do the job. If I do or don't kill a Moose this year I am sure the gun and load will be very low on the lists of reasons why. I am also sure it is not the perfect load but it works well for me and it goes were I point it, EVERY TIME ad I trust it.
When I talk about over thinking things what I mean sometimes you just have to do it. When I was back in my teens and shot almost every day all summer and 2 or three times a week all winter. I was with a cousin of mine from the city and shot a coyote at about 350 yards on the dead run. It was no big deal, but I remember him asking me how much led it. I stopped and looked at him and said I have no idea, it just looked right. If I had to stop and think about it I would never have hit anything. When you pull down on that Elk if you are thinking at all about the load or the gun or almost anything for that matter you have just cut you chances in half. It sounds like you have good equipment and a good load just go and shoot your gun bond with it a little. I don't mean to get to philosophical about this but if you have ever been out shooting and just got "in the zone" you will know what I am talking about. Its also just a lot of fun.

[ QUOTE ]
remingtonman 25 06,

Sure would like to here from anyone out there that's put 240MK's (or similar) down a 26", 10 twist pipe in a 300RUM!
Thanks all!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Bailey shot the 240 SMK's out of a 10 twist and if I remember corectly they shot fine for him until about 1500 yards and then they lost stability.........
thumb.gif

I just like tinkering and optimizing things to the level I'd like them to perform or at least know for myself that they won't perform to the level I'd hoped for. Specifically, if I haven't made this clear, I'd like to find a heavier bullet (and be aware of all that's available) than the 200AB to better utilize the characteritics of US869. Several reliable sources on this board have found that it gernally performs better with the heavier (220+ish) bullets. I've had some unusually high ES with this powder and the 200AB and have been lead to believe I might narrow those a bit with the heavier bullets. Thanks for your input.

Ordered some Nosler 300RUM brass and a box of 240MK's from Sinclair--I'll start there and see what happens until I hear if the 215-220WC's will stablize in a 1-10 twist at 300 RUM speeds.

[ QUOTE ]

Ordered some Nosler 300RUM brass and a box of 240MK's from Sinclair--I'll start there and see what happens until I hear if the 215-220WC's will stablize in a 1-10 twist at 300 RUM speeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of coures the Wildcats will stabilize in a 10 twist.....
thumb.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.