Heavy duplex

Northshore

I found a Leopold 4.5x14x50 scope for sale I was very interested in. I would be using it for elk hunting. The only concern was that it has a heavy duplex reticle. Not sure that would be my first choice for a long range shot. Any thoughts from your experiences?

I guess it just depends on how far you're actually going to shoot. I like a heavy duplex, personally for shots out to 350 yards or so. They seem to make target acquisition easier for me. I even have some standard duplex reticles on rifles I have programmed into my Strelok App and it shows you the approximate holdovers but I've never really tried it out past 300. I'd rather have turrets for "long" range.

I probably wouldn't have to shoot much over 400 yards where I hunt. I didn't know if the reticle would cover up too much of the view field at long distances. Seems like they are popular in low light
Scenarios.

Google Reticles Leupold. Several pages of all their reticles.

Not my favorite reticle, but very useable in some applications, and some models.

If deal is good enough, reticles can be changed.

My favorite is the TMOA Illuminated. The illuminated shows up well when you want it. The hole in the middle aids visualization of small targets. Changing to an illuminated reticle likely isn't possible, but call them. Even without illumination the TMOA is a decent reticle.

Always trade offs, price, availability, magnification. The heavy duplex may be perfect for your needs, and compliment the rifle you put it on.

For what it's worth I love my vx3 4.5x14 40mm fine duplex. I personally hate heavy duplex, but that is just my preference. I don't think one truly knows what they like until they have used it in the field.
And even after you think you know what you like, you try something else and like that more.

My VariX3 1.75 - 6 on top my 30-06 BAR has the hvy duplex and I love it. I'm not a long range guy but it's very effective at 200 yards which is the longest I shoot. I had it on my 338WM and always dreamed of an elk hunt with it but it never happened.

Unless you are shooting for the smallest group size or small varmints at long range I don't think you will even notice the difference between the two duplex reticles. For elk in any kind of timber I would prefer the heavier reticle, illuminated if possible.

I found a Leopold 4.5x14x50 scope for sale I was very interested in. I would be using it for elk hunting. The only concern was that it has a heavy duplex reticle. Not sure that would be my first choice for a long range shot. Any thoughts from your experiences?
There is something besides heavy duplex? All I ever used over last 40 years. Once you get the measurements of the reticle at 100 yards Kentucky windage does the rest. I gave up on the Mark 4 reticle. Too slow.

I have had a VariX 3 3.5 X 10 on my Rem 700 in 8 mag for about 25 years. It does quite ok. Really like it for up close and no problem if I want to stretch it out. All in what you get used to I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.