Heaters Radiant, portable and propane

badaboom

Looking for advice on good portable, propane heaters, ceramic type, radiant?

Ideally
thermostatically controlled
Must work at elevation above 7750 FT elevation

Experencies / suggestions.

Appreciate it.

Last edited:
200 sq ft I believe if I know my BUTT from a hole in the ground
its NON vented

for 8 man outfitter geodesic dome

for inside enclosed area fairly enclosed

great questions

Most of the ones I've looked over are not made to be used over 7000 FT elevation
I've heard tell about high attitute kits etc

Last edited:
In my large outfitter tent, we've used the radiants on the propane tank style. But this is in a large tent (14x17 with 9' ceiling) We always had a low spot open at the door (air would leak in) and the eaves of our tent are open at the top, so we always have an air exchange going. Even thoug, we dont run it when we are sleeping.

I have a small Paulin PUP that I've used in a small ice fishing shanty. It uses the small propane bottles. It has a low Oxygen depletion sensor. It would be too small for a 200' tent, but other Paulin heaters may have the same type safety devices. I'm no expert, but CO is the issue, not low oxygen (just something to keep in mind).

I've used the radiant heaters up to around 8500'.

AJ

Last edited:
I to have used the on them 20lb bottle bug eye radiant heaters in larger tents and vent worked fine.
Although all the manufacturers say good to 7000 ft the low O2 can cause the heater to shutdown
I'm guesssing a 10000 btu would be good.
I just don't want it to run all the time thus I wanted a thermostat

My tent will be vented also this is a MUST

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.