Headspace conundrum

Highbrass

Over the past year I have re-barreled several Savage rifles. 3 of these were Belted magnum calibers. All 3 were barreled with factory take off barrels. The first 2 were a 7mm Rem and a 300 Win. Just this weekend I rebarreled another 300 Win.
I used the same manson gauge on all 3. I noticed that in all 3 cases the factory stamping on all 3 barrels wound up at 90deg off. I can see if each was at a random position that could just be a slight difference in thread match up but now I wonder if Savage is allowing a bit more space to chamber.
I did check all with a live cartridge and all seem to lock up as they should. Sooo am I missing something ? Or have i been setting all mine up wrong? I always chamber the gauge and screw the barrel in until it contacts the gauge. I rock it back and forth a few times and lighly snug the nut. Then i test the go gauge in and out a couple of times then try the no go and make sure it locks up before closing.Then I check with a live round.
So is it me or is it Savage???

I was thrown for a loop too. The Savage writing clocked at the very top of the barrel on a couple. Set to min headspace. So, yeah...they got some room from factory.

Are you checking with virgin brass?
7RM and .300WM are WAY short on headspace with virgin brass. Like .014-.018" short.
That's with all belted mags. That's why Peterson makes long brass. The headspace is done from the belt and the brass fire forms to the chamber. That's why a lot of people don't like belted magnums.

Yes.
But I have seen big variations in belt thickness in various brass. I have even found some to not chamber and be able to close the bolt.
Agreed. Only reason I asked was a quarter turn of a typical threaded Savage barrel (20tpi) would represent about 0.025 inch. That seems excessive. Am I incorrect in thinking the gage headspaces off the belt?

Agreed. Only reason I asked was a quarter turn of a typical threaded Savage barrel (20tpi) would represent about 0.025 inch. That seems excessive. Am I incorrect in thinking the gage headspaces off the belt?
You are 100% correct. Disregard all this BS about the shoulder on virgin brass, it has NOTHING to do with headspace.
The gauge locates on the belt, the chamber locates on the belt. There can be .010" variation, I have only seen this ONCE in 30 years of building rifles and it was corrected before going out. If it closes on the no-go, then it's wrong. The lettering is irrelevant.

Cheers.