Cooper - Headspace?

My goal here is not to bash Cooper but to merely get some opinions. Maybe I'm expecting to much too soon etc. If this thread is coming a crossed as a degradation toward Cooper than please tell me and I'll see the moderators about having it removed. Cooper has treated me excellently and I want to do the same.

For whatever my opinion is worth, you are by no means flaming Cooper nor should this thread be altered/removed. I have several of their rifles and have had good experiences - that doesn't mean they are infallible. Experiences are only "facts" to those who have actually experienced them....

I am not a fan of removing issues that people have with products (if they are being fair, as IMO you are) as this sacrifices the credibility of everyone's opinions and experiences. I want to make decisions on what to buy by measuring everyone's collective experience (and make my own decisions on who is credible).

The flip-side is that it is important that you follow up as well - when you identify the issue/resolution please post it so we can collectively get a little smarter. I think you are going to find a smoking gun somewhere outside of load development but we'll see (I'm wrong a lot)

My editorial for the night:)

What factory ammo have you tried?
Aside from shear luck, the only thing that's going to get any gun shooting well for you is due diligence. You colleague should have learned, and you'll learn, one way or another.

I only tried Remington standard 140gr factory ammo. However, as i stated earlier I did expect better from the few handloads I assembled, but as I also stated, maybe I expected too much?
I guess my colleagues opinion was that with an equal amount of time, effort and expense on components he could have gotten a Remington, Winchester, etc. shooting equally well.
I tend to agree, as most folks purchasing a synthetic Cooper are doing it for their reputation for accuracy.

I did post this in your other thread but will say it again. I have the same gun in 6.5x284 and was having the same problem. I was using 140 accubonds and shooting .5" to 1.5" with 2 different powders and several different OALs....switched bullets to the 140 berger and instantly went to shooting .25 to .5 MOA. How many different bullets have you tried? Also I wouldnt expect regular factory loads to shoot any better that 1.5" anyway....call cooper and ask to talk to the guy that does their load development. I spent 40 min on the phone with him and he was very helpful.

Called Cooper. They said these rifles should not be that fussy and that a lot of the Akley Improved calibers will shoot fireforming loads, right from the get-go, better than what I'm seeing. Returning the rifle to Cooper.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts