Headspace advice needed, 6.5 Creedmoor, 2 diff Savage rifles

TejasRider

For now let's accept that somehow I was able to justify buying a 2nd Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor. One is the Hunter Tactical (Cabela's model) and the other is the Desert Tactical.

The Hunter Tactical was my first purchase and I worked up some loads that seemed to work for my 100 and 200 yrd paper punching. A few weeks ago I picked up the Desert Tactical and tried to see how those loads would perform in that rifle. What I found was that I couldn't fully chamber those cartridges.

I've since picked up the Hornady Headspace bushing set and measured fired reloads in my HT and fired commercial in my DT. Below are the measurements I got on 10 of each.

Hunter Tactical:
1.5390, 1.5380, 1.5380, 1.5370, 1.5370, 1.5360, 1.5370, 1.5365, 1.5370, 1.5370

Desert Tactical:
1.5350, 1.5330, 1.5340, 1.5345, 1.5340, 1.5350, 1.5355, 1.5345, 1.5345, 1.5345

I also went ahead and measure some unfired cartridges.

My reloads:
1.5330, 1.5325, 1.5330, 1.5325

Hornady match 140:
1.5300, 1.5290, 1.5290, 1.5290

I'm using Hornady dies and a Hornady shell holder. Die was run down to where it touched the the shell holder at the top of the stroke, then give a 1/4 turn for a slight cam-over.

So here are my questions.
1. Is the chamber difference such that I should segregate my brass so that I keep a set with headspace correct for one and a separate set for the other?

2. Should I be looking at pushing my shoulders back to 1.5310 for both?

*edit: since its my first time using the headspace bushings, my zero may not have been set correctly but all the measurements relative to the zero I set were consistent.

Any help would be appreciated.

1. Is the chamber difference such that I should segregate my brass so that I keep a set with headspace correct for one and a separate set for the other?
IMO this would be the best thing to do. Could just use different die sets for each rifle. But would not have the convenience of making one batch of ammo that fit both rifles.

2. Should I be looking at pushing my shoulders back to 1.5310 for both?
I wouldn't do this. Brass fired in the Hunter Tactical would end up being set too far back each time and therefore the brass would not last very long.

You could set headspace on both rifles the same with a set of "Go NoGo" Guages" Probably what I would try if I wanted the same ammo for both and wanted the brass to last.
Could also set the heasdpace of the Hunter Tactical, with a 2 or 3 times fired case from the Desert Tactical and that would probably work too.

I did order a 2nd resizing die thinking I might have to go the route of two different sets of brass. Too bad there isn't an easy visual way to mark the brass like DIY nickel plating to easily differentiate the brass after firing/cleaning.

The easiest way is keeping your brass in separate ammo boxes labeled for each rifle with data on # of firings, bump, annealing, etc. Or, you could use a different brand of brass for each rifle.

You do not need a second die, just buy a set of Redding competition shell holders. These shell holders allow you to change the amount of shoulder bump in .002 increments without touching the die.

Also keep the cases separate between your two rifles, you are also dealing with brass spring back after sizing. You can have the same problem with just one rifle and different types of cases and brass spring back.

You do not need a second die, just buy a set of Redding competition shell holders. These shell holders allow you to change the amount of shoulder bump in .002 increments without touching the die.

Also keep the cases separate between rifles your two rifles you are also dealing with brass spring back after sizing. You can have the same problem with just one rifle and different types of cases.

+1!

You do not need a second die, just buy a set of Redding competition shell holders. These shell holders allow you to change the amount of shoulder bump in .002 increments.

This is a good point. Only issue I have with the Redding comp shell holders is the price.
They are about $55.00 and you can get a Hornady FL die for $35.00. Lots of flexibility with the comp shell holders though.

Also keep the cases separate between your two rifles, you are also dealing with brass spring back after sizing. You can have the same problem with just one rifle and different types of cases and brass spring back.
Had no idea something like this existed. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yep, one of those shell holders will give you a perfect bump. Then just leave the shell holder with the die set for that rifle.

Since these are Savage rifles, I would reset the headspace so that both have the same that way you would not have to separate brass. This is a simple/easy task on a Savage. When I built my 6.5x47 I used a piece of new Lapua brass to set headspace. My brass only grows about .002" and when I size it I am pretty much putting it back to factory spec. I don't notice a difference when I use new brass versus the fired brass.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this you can get your gunsmith to set the headspace on both barrels to match.

Now if I could just find a way to easily visually differentiate the two sets of rifle brass.
I have several "sets" of same cartridge rifles. What i have done is used winchester primers in one and CCI in the other the Win. primers are brass color and CCI are silver. This is providing each primer gives you acceptable results.

I have several "sets" of same cartridge rifles. What i have done is used winchester primers in one and CCI in the other the Win. primers are brass color and CCI are silver. This is providing each primer gives you acceptable results.
I was thinking about visually marking them so that even during wet-tumbling I could tell them apart and could do larger co-mingled batches that way. But, it's really not a big deal to keep them separate.

Using the Redding Shell Holders for now will work and then at some point getting to a gunsmith to match up the headspace on both rifles.

Thanks everyone. I'm just a bit more knowledgeable now than when I started the day thanks to you guys. Much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.