Headed to Wisconsin for Gun Deer Season

Deer legs

Interesting you mentioned cutting the legs off with a saw. The group I hunt with in Missouri will give a guy all kinds of grief for bringing a deer out of the woods with the lower legs attached. The cut the legs off at the joint before even fied dressing! Less "stuff" to get rid of later they say.

I get lots of grief from them.....................:D

There are are fair number of regional 'oddities' associated with deer gutting, dragging, skinning, hanging and butchering.

I've hunted with folks (in Wisc.) that believe the deer MUST be gutted immediately (within minutes) after its shot or the meat will spoil.

Some folks cut the tarsal glands off for fear they'll taint the meat.

Most folks I know hang the penis and testicles in a tree when gutting a buck deer, brings good luck they say (not for the deer apparently).

Some folks cut the throat of the deer so it will bleed out (many that do this don't cut anything other than the trachea and perhaps esophagus).

Some folks wont eat a lactating doe.

Here are two my son got with (my) MOA in 6.5x284. I think he must have been thinking about musky fishing when he was holding these.
112507028.jpg

Nice suit but where are the prickly ash rips and sticker bush seeds??

Those small(ish) deer eat well and best of all they're easy to drag, I like an easy drag. I believe we got at least two that size this year, we inject the hams and they roast really well.

Where were you hunting??

Contrats to all concerned, good hunt.

Dave,
We were hunting just north of Milwaukee in the Northern Kettle Moraine and he had the backstraps last night and said they were so tender and tasty. And yes they sure are easier to drag out.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.